Try 30 days of free premium.

The Walking Dead cast question.

tnt wrote 7 years ago: 1

Guys, I'm a bit confused. Maybe somebody would clear things out for me?

There's 4 "sections" of on-screen credits in the TWD: main title sequence, then "also starring" (usually finished with "and [last actor name]"), then the list of the names of guest cast (no clear separation from the main cast, no "guest starring" title, same font etc.), and then there's "co-starring" at the end credits.

So, here what's bothering me: according to the data policy all of the people, listed at "also starring", should be considered main cast, but now the same "also starring" actors listed here differently from episode to episode. Sometimes as main, sometimes as guest. Some of them only as main, and some only as guest.

Data policy also states that "individual shows can have a different policy". Do we have some special policy for TWD? Or all of the "also starring" just need to be listed as the main cast?
There's "Cast & Crew" section at the show's official website, and only some of the "also starring" actors are listed there. Apparently only those with the most significant roles. Can this section be used as the special policy?

Sorry for some huddle, my English is only that good))

JuanArango wrote 7 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Guys, I'm a bit confused. Maybe somebody would clear things out for me?
There's 4 "sections" of on-screen credits in the TWD: main title sequence, then "also starring" (usually finished with "and [last actor name]"), then the list of the names of guest cast (no clear separation from the main cast, no "guest starring" title, same font etc.), and then there's "co-starring" at the end credits.
So, here what's bothering me: according to the data policy all of the people, listed at "also starring", should be considered main cast, but now the same "also starring" actors listed here differently from episode to episode. Sometimes as main, sometimes as guest. Some of them only as main, and some only as guest.
Data policy also states that "individual shows can have a different policy". Do we have some special policy for TWD? Or all of the "also starring" just need to be listed as the main cast?
There's "Cast & Crew" section at the show's official website, and only some of the "also starring" actors are listed there. Apparently only those with the most significant roles. Can this section be used as the special policy?
Sorry for some huddle, my English is only that good))

I thought the cast entries of the Walking Dead are almost perfect, like we have them, as I did most of them myself :)

Could you give me one or two examples, when you think we got it wrong ?

cheers
Juan

Just quick sample. I can give more, if you need.

Episode 5x14: Tovah Feldshuh is listed on screen right after Seth Gilliam. But he is included in the main cast, and she is not. Same with Alexandra Breckenridge.

Episode 5x16: Lennie James, Tovah Feldshuh, Alexandra Breckenridge and Austin Nichols are listed as "also starring"

Episode 6x01: Alexandra Breckenridge and Austin Nichols are listed as "also starring"

tnt wrote:
Episode 5x14: Tovah Feldshuh is listed on screen right after Seth Gilliam. But he is included in the main cast, and she is not. Same with Alexandra Breckenridge.
Episode 5x16: Lennie James, Tovah Feldshuh, Alexandra Breckenridge and Austin Nichols are listed as "also starring"
Episode 6x01: Alexandra Breckenridge and Austin Nichols are listed as "also starring"

I will check those this evening when I am home from work :)

Tonks wrote 7 years ago: 1

I was sure i posted a reply.

Juan, remember last season, we had the same issue with the regular cast. We looked at the website and did the main cast according the AMC Website, because it was the definite answer.

Last season season, there was in the opening credits, under "also starring" a pause after Toval Feldshuh, so we checked who was what. As you said, TNT, the "and with" was a dead give away until then there was no real separation, we checked before that episode.

For Walking Dead, the production is very clear on who is regular and who is recurring. Jeffrey Dean Morgan is listed in the main opening credits (with images), Lennie James entered last season, but Masterson, Serratos, Gilliam, Nichols, Marquand (the dude playing Eugene) are all considered regulars as well. They also noted this season the guy playing Dwight is promoted to regular so main cast and same with the character playing Jesus as well as xander berkeley (sorry i didn't want to use one of the names, I don't remeber who tom payne plays, whether it's dwight or Jesus out of hand)

if you find the topic where we discussed this already that should solve the problem. At least i think it will.

Tonks wrote:
if you find the topic where we discussed this already that should solve the problem. At least i think it will.

I'll try to find it, but I think the easiest and more convenient way is to put the official solution in the editor wiki.

gazza911 wrote 7 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
I'll try to find it, but I think the easiest and more convenient way is to put the official solution in the editor wiki.

+1

To be honest, I think it should be standard for any complicated scenario

gazza911 wrote:
+1
To be honest, I think it should be standard for any complicated scenario

That's what editor wiki for, isn't it?))

I've found the original thread. The final decision was the same as I offered above: treat as main cast only those mentioned at the AMC site.

But apparently somebody already messed with the cast. For example Alexandra Breckenridge (Jessie) and Austin Nichols (Spencer) should be in the main cast in the season 6, but now they're listed as guest stars.

gazza911 wrote 7 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
That's what editor wiki for, isn't it?))

Yeah, I meant more in terms of being policy to actually add it when it's complicated (i.e whenever staff have to make a decision between themselves), rather than only if someone requests it to be added.

Weird, we discussed specifically these last season and they were mentioned. I think you should go ahead and correct them.

I'm waiting to see what happens next episode as the main credits should change wiht what happened. We'll see if dwight, jesus and berkeley are added to the main cast like Jeffrey Dean Morgan was.

We have to keep in mind that on-screen credits overrule the official website, not sure if that policy was already in place at the time of the last discussion. So everyone who is listed as main cast and as "also starring" should be main cast.

JuanArango wrote:
We have to keep in mind that on-screen credits overrule the official website, not sure if that policy was already in place at the time of the last discussion. So everyone who is listed as main cast and as "also starring" should be main cast.

Is this rule retroactive? So all of the "also starring" actors should be moved to the main cast starting from season 1?

tnt wrote:
Is this rule retroactive? So all of the "also starring" actors should be moved to the main cast starting from season 1?

I am pretty sure that this is almost all correct, but as I said I will take alook when I am at home from work :)

Walking Dead is just a bit weird with main cast , as the main cast continues after the opening credits.

tnt wrote:

Also starring means = main cast and the people are listed as main cast, it all seems fine to me :)

JuanArango wrote:
Also starring means = main cast and the people are listed as main cast, it all seems fine to me :)

The people, I've mentioned, are listed as guest, hence the question.

I've fixed 6x01, but look at the season 5 episodes.

tnt wrote:
The people, I've mentioned, are listed as guest, hence the question.
I've fixed 6x01, but look at the season 5 episodes.

Oh, did not know you fixed 6x01 :)

That is why I thought it is all ok.

Will take alook after work again.

cheers
Juan

Juan, you can't go back to the season 1 and redo everything. Most were truly guests, some were regulars in "also starring", others were in the main credits.

It would be madness to add every single person listed as "also starring", there is no guest listed at the beginning of the episodes of the walking dead, just "also starring". Some guest and co-stars are listed at the end. Some were there for one episode in "also starring". It would need the episodes and check every opening credits to see if there is a specific pause between the "regulars" and the guests which are all listed under "also starring".

TNT, i don't think alex breckenridge, tovah and lennie james are main cast in season 5. The PR said as much, the website at the time said as much.

I understand the rule about the website because they make mistakes, which they can correct if you tell them, but the walking dead has been (and it's a very specific instance) very clear on who is what at each point of the show.

You can pretty much apply the rule to use the credits except for that specific show for this country.. It won't be possible for other countries, they all have their specificity.

Tonks wrote:
Juan, you can't go back to the season 1 and redo everything. Most were truly guests, some were regulars in "also starring", others were in the main credits.
It would be madness to add every single person listed as "also starring", there is no guest listed at the beginning of the episodes of the walking dead, just "also starring". Some guest and co-stars are listed at the end. Some were there for one episode in "also starring". It would need the episodes and check every opening credits to see if there is a specific pause between the "regulars" and the guests which are all listed under "also starring".
TNT, i don't think alex breckenridge, tovah and lennie james are main cast in season 5. The PR said as much, the website at the time said as much.
I understand the rule about the website because they make mistakes, which they can correct if you tell them, but the walking dead has been (and it's a very specific instance) very clear on who is what at each point of the show.
You can pretty much apply the rule to use the credits except for that specific show for this country.. It won't be possible for other countries, they all have their specificity.

Torva was definitely not main cast in season 5, I really think the cast listing is all fine as I mostly did it very carefully myself :)
And you are correct Tonks, go thru all of it again would be insane :)

Tonks wrote:
TNT, i don't think alex breckenridge, tovah and lennie james are main cast in season 5.

No, I'm sure they're not. Even story wise. But It's obvious only for people, who actually watch the show.

Anyway, I think somebody should create editor wiki for TWD, where should be described, who are considered regulars, and who's the guest.

Because somebody already changed appearances for 6x01 once, so we need to prevent such changes from happening in the future.

JuanArango wrote:

Torva was definitely not main cast in season 5, I really think the cast listing is all fine as I mostly did it very carefully myself :)
And you are correct Tonks, go thru all of it again would be insane :)

Would you be so kind to create a wiki for the show?

Try 30 days of free premium.