Try 30 days of free premium.

Animated casts playing multiple characters

Sliderb wrote 5 years ago: 1

I saw a post here saying that adding multiple characters to one actor/actress on a show was being considered. I'm updating "Big Hero 6: The Series" and there are many actors who voice multiple characters in an episode. Has this been worked on or what should I do? However, it's more than just animated shows that have to deal with this. I see "Orphan Black" had a workaround done for Tatiana since she played multiple characters, as did "Fargo" with Ewan McGregor. But animated show seem more difficult to pull that workaround off on since some characters are only around for one episode.

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

Here's the official lead sheet https://www.disneyabcpress.com/disneychannel/pressrelease/big-hero-6-the-series-season-1-lead-sheet/

It should give you the idea of which characters should belong to the main cast. The rest is guest appearances, obviously :)

Maya Rudolph as Aunt Cass, Ryan Potter as Hiro, Scott Adsit as Baymax, Jamie Chung as Go Go, Alan Tudyk as Alistair Krei, Genesis Rodriguez as Honey Lemon, David Shaughnessy as Heathcliff and Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee as Fred’s dad. Also joining the main voice cast are Khary Payton as Wasabi and Brooks Wheelan as Fred.

Basically in all ambiguous situations the best solution would be to follow the information sources in order of their preference, as mentioned in http://www.tvmaze.com/faq/15/episodes, keeping in mind that information could be combined, i.e. if the show's on-screen credits are not clear enough, you could turn to the next best source to clarify that.

And as a last resort there's always the forums :D

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

Is your question concerning main characters, or all characters? You mention characters that are only around for one episode.

If the latter as well (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm not :) ), my understanding is that since TVMaze list characters individually, we list each character individually. So a single actor who voices multiple characters will have multiple individual character entries. The Venture Bros. is one example, where Christopher McCulloch and Doc Hammer, the show's creators, voice multiple regular and recurring characters each episode and the end credits make almost no effort to distinguish main from guest.

The alternative would be to create a character named (for instance) "Billy Quizboy / 21 / Ward / Red Dragoon / Blackout 1", and the next week have a different "character" named "21 / Ward / Red Dragoon / Dr. Z / Illuminati 3", which would be pretty awkward as well as make it impossible to provide a single character image and/or bio.

If that's what you mean...

For instance, Diedrich Bader is a recurring guest as Bluff Dunder. However, in the episode "The Bot Fighter", he actually voices 3 characters: Bluff Dunder, Gus, and Cerberus Bot. The problem is, when I put Diedrich's name in, the only option is to choose his recurring character. I could create a new character, but it will only allow one character name per actor, unless I group all the names together under one long character name. Diedrich often voices multiple characters during a single episode. So far he has been in 8 episodes like this.

Sliderb wrote:
For instance, Diedrich Bader is a recurring guest as Bluff Dunder. However, in the episode "The Bot Fighter", he actually voices 3 characters: Bluff Dunder, Gus, and Cerberus Bot. The problem is, when I put Diedrich's name in, the only option is to choose his recurring character. I could create a new character, but it will only allow one character name per actor, unless I group all the names together under one long character name. Diedrich often voices multiple characters during a single episode. So far he has been in 8 episodes like this.

Not sure what do you mean by this? You can create as many characters as needed for any actor, there's no limit. Just click on the character dropbox, enter the name and choose Create New.

Sliderb wrote:

How is it limiting you to one character name per actor? Granted, it will only automatically bring up one character name when you enter the actor name. Which is a minor pain if a actor plays multiple roles. But it's not a limit.

Just scroll down to "Create New" and... create a new character. The next time you enter the actor name, it won't bring up any default character name. But if you type in an existing character name, the system will "remember" it and fill it in/link to it for you.

See the most recent episode of The Venture Bros. for an example. It can be done. :)

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1534628/the-venture-bros-7x10-the-saphrax-protocol/cast

FYI, the system will bring up similar character names to what you typed in. And if there are multiple character names (similar or identical), I believe it will put the actor name in parenthesis afterward to help differentiate.

Some shows, which use the same generic character names (Man, Woman, Guard, Townsman), that can be confusing. It really depends on how familiar you are with the show. For instance, on Have Gun, Will Travel there are a lot of Townsman characters. But I know the show enough (and it's from the non-continuity era of TV) that even when it says some fourth-tier actor played "Townsman", I know it's not the same Townsman in episode 5 as in episode 55. Even if it's the same actor. Or Olan Soule, who not only plays the "Hotel Desk Clerk" at Paladin's main hotel, but also played different "Hotel Desk Clerk"s at other hotels throughout the show.

Your mileage may vary. :) We're just guessing at your problem, and potential reasons why it's a problem.

If you have issues, I'd say post in the forums and provide as much detail as possible, and we'll help you as much as possible. That and... well, watch the episodes whenever possible. :) IMDB, for instance, ain't going to tell you that the same actor played different characters (with the same generic name) in different episodes. And animated episodes, current-day or otherwise, are a big ole ball of confusion. :) The Venture Bros. isn't any clearer than Challenge of the Superfriends is.

When I was trying it on BH6, if I chose Diedrich's name, I could only enter it one time in the list of guest stars. If I tried to enter a second character he played, it would cancel the first one and use only the second one. But now that I see what was done with Venture Brothers, I can see it's possible.

Yeah, I'd recommend Venture Brothers as an example, if you can reverse-engineer the guest casts to what you're trying to do with BH6.

Let us know if you have any further questions. If nothing else, if you provide an actor and character name, and an episode, one of us can enter it and talk you through what we did.

Great, thanks! I'll give it a try.

Try 30 days of free premium.