Try 30 days of free premium.

Main Images

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

david wrote:
Whelp. So for all of you the problem is only with uploading new images, right?

Uploading new images, selecting a main image "after the fact", having the oldest image be the default main image (or changing the default main image) without going through a relatively laborious and non-intuitive process.

If it's a matter of how the coding has to be to make the site work, then IMO that's what it's got to be. Heck, there's probably some things that were around before we ever got here that got changed to what they are now, and we figured them out just fine. :)

RaveDave wrote 5 years ago: 1

If its coding issues that have made this change necessary then fine, but if not then it is a strange change, the strangest thing for me is why you can update the main image on an episode create page, i don't understand that, being able to change it on the update show page makes sense but the previous gallery method IMO was better.

If anyone else is like myself and doesn't like the main image box on the create episode page, as it will slow your work flow, you can just block it with a piece of css code as i have already done.

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

OK, I'll try to find a way to add a "set as main image" checkbox from the create a new image page only.

Is that a matter of what the coding will limit it to? Or is it what is believed users (or at least us heavier data-adding folks) want?

If it's the former, okay.

If the latter, I don't want it that way. It doesn't sound like anyone else does either, but they'll have to speak for themselves. At the very least, it doesn't give us a chance to fix a mistake, does it? If in the example above I accidentally select image 6 for the main image when I meant for it to be image 5, then it sounds like I'd have no way to add it. Short of deleting 5 and 6, adding 5 and selecting it as Main Image, and then adding image 6. Which sounds rather complicated. And the more complicated something is, the more likely it will generate more errors.

That's if such considerations are important. Me, just because I want an image in the gallery doesn't mean that I want it as the main image. And... mistakes happen.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:
Is that a matter of what the coding will limit it to? Or is it what is believed users (or at least us heavier data-adding folks) want?

If it's the former, okay.

If the latter, I don't want it that way. It doesn't sound like anyone else does either, but they'll have to speak for themselves. At the very least, it doesn't give us a chance to fix a mistake, does it? If in the example above I accidentally select image 6 for the main image when I meant for it to be image 5, then it sounds like I'd have no way to add it. Short of deleting 5 and 6, adding 5 and selecting it as Main Image, and then adding image 6. Which sounds rather complicated. And the more complicated something is, the more likely it will generate more errors.

That's if such considerations are important. Me, just because I want an image in the gallery doesn't mean that I want it as the main image. And... mistakes happen.

Why would you delete images? You can still go to the main episode page and change the main image from there :)

And a big chunk of the discussion is about how going to the main episode/show/actor/character page to do deleting isn't that good an idea.

I was also responding to what David proposed. If you can (still) set the main image from the main ESAC page, then there's no reason for the change he proposes.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:
And a big chunk of the discussion is about how going to the main episode/show/actor/character page to do deleting isn't that good an idea.

I was also responding to what David proposed. If you can (still) set the main image from the main ESAC page, then there's no reason for the change he proposes.

yes but the box he suggested would cover some of the concerns we do have (we can add a new image as the main image), not all I know this, but for this we can go to the main episode page.

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

What is the purpose of "Main Image" drop-down on the Create Episode/Create Show/Handle Request pages? Those entries by all means can't have any images at all, until they're created and some images are added to the gallery.

Gadfly wrote:

Deleting is done the old way, from the gallery. On the main page you could only select, which image would be main.

If you mean the checkbox, the reason is that you could set the main image immediately when you uploading it, without any additional actions. Same way it was before.

FYI, my stepfather tells me that when he adds images to his review, each image he adds in the review itself shows up twice in the gallery.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

I didn't really have any issue uploading photos, but to be honest I kinda like the location to set main images by now as it reduces the conflicts I have seen of users changing photos back-and-forth :).

RaveDave wrote:
If its coding issues that have made this change necessary then fine, but if not then it is a strange change, the strangest thing for me is why you can update the main image on an episode create page, i don't understand that, being able to change it on the update show page makes sense but the previous gallery method IMO was better.

Not sure how it would slow your workflow, but fair point: it's useless there. It's now gone.

Gadfly wrote:
FYI, my stepfather tells me that when he adds images to his review, each image he adds in the review itself shows up twice in the gallery.

This is now fixed.

Thomas wrote:
I didn't really have any issue uploading photos, but to be honest I kinda like the location to set main images by now as it reduces the conflicts I have seen of users changing photos back-and-forth :).

Does it reduce the conflicts by convincing users not to do it? Or by hiding the way to do it?

If the latter... a large part IMO of the problem is that it was initially "hidden" from everyone in the same way.

david wrote:
The change was made for various technical reasons. The most important one being the "edit conflict" prevention: in the old setup, that didn't work for main images (since the data was stored at each individual image's level instead of on a single level where it can be tracked), which ment every user could come in and change a show's main image back and forth without limits.

david wrote:
Not sure how it would slow your workflow, but fair point: it's useless there. It's now gone.

Is it possible to also hide it in cases when entry doesn't have any images in gallery?

tnt wrote:
Is it possible to also hide it in cases when entry doesn't have any images in gallery?

That seems a bit overkill, there are plenty of edit fields that are sometimes unused/non applicable.

I re-added the "set as main image" checkbox for creation of new images. The checkbox will also only show up if there is no edit conflict on the "main image" property of the parent, but that shouldn't be a problem to most people in this thread. :)

david wrote:
That seems a bit overkill, there are plenty of edit fields that are sometimes unused/non applicable.

Well, on "Update episode" page, for example, all other fields can be filled with information. Except for this one. If there's no images – it will be blank, and there's no way you can use it. Therefore it's just occupying the screen space. Not a big issue, however it looks not really thoughtful, like somebody just forgot to remove it :)

Thanks for bringing back the checkbox!

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Well, on "Update episode" page, for example, all other fields can be filled with information. Except for this one.

So you're meaning only hide it when you can't update it?

I'd just suggest disabling it instead.

Try 30 days of free premium.