Try 30 days of free premium.

Prevent accidental adding of duplicate appearances

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

If actor is a main cast member and already marked in Cast appearances for the episode, prevent accidental adding the same actor+character to the guest cast in the same episode.

Could be helpful when adding UK/AU series with lot of cast and long unsorted/sorted by order of appearance list of credits at the end.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

good idea, just do not know if this is a lot of coding work :)

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
If actor is a main cast member and already marked in Cast appearances for the episode, prevent accidental adding the same actor+character to the guest cast in the same episode.

Could be helpful when adding UK/AU series with lot of cast and long unsorted/sorted by order of appearance list of credits at the end.

It could most definitely be a pain in the ass, I agree. I usually have the cast appearance tab open when I add guest from those series. :)

Thomas wrote:
It could most definitely be a pain in the ass, I agree. I usually have the cast appearance tab open when I add guest from those series. :)

I suppose one could also keep all main cast members in their head (for every show they contributed to), but I'm doing it the same way :) However, when you have more than a dozen cast appearances and 30+ total actors listed in random order it's easy to miss something... Especially when actors could be main cast in one episode and guest starring in another.

Anyway, It's just an idea how to make things a bit more foolproof :) We already have a guest vs guest dupecheck, I think adding guest vs main is a logical extension.

tnt wrote:
I suppose one could also keep all main cast members in their head (for every show they contributed to).

Goodluck with a series like ''The Last Kingdom'' where actors are bumped in different episodes from main to guest to main and so on :)

Anyway, It's just an idea how to make things a bit more foolproof :) We already have a guest vs guest dupecheck, I think adding guest vs main is a logical extension.

It is definitely a feature I would appreciate though :)

Thomas wrote:
Goodluck with a series like ''The Last Kingdom'' where actors are bumped in different episodes from main to guest to main and so on :)

It was a sarcastic joke :P

BTW, maybe me being a Captain Obvious, but the trick with cast appearance tab works even better, if you click "Manage" in it. This way you'll have a tidy alphabetically sorted list, which is much easier to read :)

tnt wrote:
It was a sarcastic joke :P

BTW, maybe me being a Captain Obvious, but the trick with cast appearance tab works even better, if you click "Manage" in it. This way you'll have a tidy alphabetically sorted list, which is much easier to read :)

that's what i basically meant tho :)

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

OK, this sounds pretty useful so I implemented it. :)

There's one caveat. The error reporting works properly one way: adding a Guest Cast entry while a Cast Appearance already exists will give you an error message within the form as usual so that's all clear. But adding a Cast Appearance when a Guest Appearance is already present will give you the error message in a generic way, and it won't immediately be clear which of the cast entries you changed caused the problem.

david wrote:
OK, this sounds pretty useful so I implemented it. :)

There's one caveat. The error reporting works properly one way: adding a Guest Cast entry while a Cast Appearance already exists will give you an error message within the form as usual so that's all clear. But adding a Cast Appearance when a Guest Appearance is already present will give you the error message in a generic way, and it won't immediately be clear which of the cast entries you changed caused the problem.

It's understandable, we all saw how's the main cast changes are reflected in the edit log, so one could assume that it'll be something similar. BTW, is there any way (in the future) to make it actually readable? :)

Considering that usually main cast is added prior to guest stars (on-screen titles usually go in this order), I think the second situation is pretty rare. Anyway, it's better than not have any warning.

Thank you :)

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

What's the problem with cast edit logs?

Try 30 days of free premium.