Try 30 days of free premium.

Image resolution/filesize limit

tnt wrote 5 years ago: 1

What is the maximum image resolution and/or file size before error 413?

Also, is it resolution or file size?

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

File & size.

Jan wrote:
File & size.

And what's the magical number? :)

Is it some kind of secret?

Hi Tnt, Are you currently having issues with uploading images?

Jan wrote:
Hi Tnt, Are you currently having issues with uploading images?

I had, several times. And sometimes instead of Error 413 I get a generic browser error, so I was scratching my head looking for problems in my network setup. That's why I want to know, for the future reference, what are the limits for the image uploading? If this information is somehow confidential (?), you could tell me in PM.

tnt wrote:
I had, several times. And sometimes instead of Error 413 I get a generic browser error, so I was scratching my head looking for problems in my network setup. That's why I want to know, for the future reference, what are the limits for the image uploading? If this information is somehow confidential (?), you could tell me in PM.

What are the file sizes/formats you're uploading? Are they links to other sources?

Jan wrote:
What are the file sizes/formats you're uploading? Are they links to other sources?

Honestly, you could've just gave a simple answer.

JPG, local file, downloaded via this press release https://www.nbcumv.com/news/its-birdits-planeits-%E2%80%98krypton%E2%80%99-season-2-syfy-june-12-10pm?show=6779753&network=33143

6588 × 9881, about 40 Mb. Optimizing the filesize to 10 Mb didn't help. So after couple of unsuccessful tries I ended up with image size reduced more than twice, so it would fit in about 3 Mb.

The policy states "Please upload images in the highest available resolution." But somehow that's not always possible. So if there's a technical limitations they should be either reviewed, or made public.

I'm asking questions to see if there is an actual issue or not and to identify it. Maybe next time you could explain a bit more where the question is coming from. ;)
In this case, try halving the image size to 3000x4500 and keeping it under 10mb. Let me know if this solves your issue.

Thank you, I will note it.

Since the Error 413 is pretty much self-explanatory, I didn't saw a need to dig further than knowing the actual system limits :) That's why I put the question in the data forums, not in the Bugs :)

How often are you having this type of issue? daily/weekly/monthly?

Jan wrote:
How often are you having this type of issue? daily/weekly/monthly?

Well, such huge images are very rare, so not often :) Basically not more than once in a month or two.

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

Just a note, you'll get 413 Entity Too Large if you're above the file size limit.

If you get a different HTTP status code and it doesn't upload that's essentially the connection being closed because it took too long for the upload to occur, so make sure nothing else is using your upload bandwidth or get better internet =]

gazza911 wrote:
Just a note, you'll get 413 Entity Too Large if you're above the file size limit.

If you get a different HTTP status code and it doesn't upload that's essentially the connection being closed because it took too long for the upload to occur, so make sure nothing else is using your upload bandwidth or get better internet =]

Well, I have no problems with other images, so it was definitely because of hitting the file size limit. I think 100 Mbps ethernet connection hardly could be considered a bottleneck :D

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

Wow. I did write the "highest available resolution" part, though 40MB sounds kind of ludicrous, doesn't it?

The limit for uploaded files should be 10MB. I did a test with the image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pizigani_1367_Chart_10MB.jpg and it went through succesfully. If you have a problem with an image of 10MB or less, can you link me to the source image so I can try?

david wrote:
Wow. I did write the "highest available resolution" part, though 40MB sounds kind of ludicrous, doesn't it?

The limit for uploaded files should be 10MB. I did a test with the image from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Pizigani_1367_Chart_10MB.jpg and it went through succesfully. If you have a problem with an image of 10MB or less, can you link me to the source image so I can try?

I agree that 40 Mb seems a bit too much, but that was the original file, so the first approach was to upload it untouched. Without resizing I've managed to optimize it to 10-something (10.5 Mb or so), and that was also too much.

In case such problem occur I will let you know. So far most of the images I deal with are not larger than 4-5 Mb, and uploading without any problems..

david wrote 5 years ago: 1

OK, let me know. The 10MB limit is pretty arbitrary, we could slightly increase it if that makes a large difference.

david wrote:
OK, let me know. The 10MB limit is pretty arbitrary, we could slightly increase it if that makes a large difference.

I don't think that's necessary. I've seen a less than a dozen posters larger than this, and most of them was optimizable. Basically this was the first that couldn't fit without resizing.

david wrote:

No need, already did it. If it's indeed something that's becoming more common we can revision it. But that image was ridiculous in both filesize and "resolution".

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

david wrote:

Maybe you could've double it? Anyway the images are being recompressed on the server side.

Try 30 days of free premium.