Try 30 days of free premium.

At home versions of late night shows.


kevin87 wrote 18 days ago: 1

With most shows doing dedicated "at home" mini versions due to the Coronavirus shut down as a way to get content out instead of just digital shorts, what should we do with these? Most have legit names and Fallon and Kimmel have even had celebrity guests via the internet and are on their official show websites or official pages on YouTube.

So we have the following:
Beeing At Home with Samantha Bee
The Daily Social Distancing Show with Trevor Noah
Jimmy Kimmel’s Quarantine Minilogue
The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: At Home Edition

Stephen Colbert has also been doing monologues and on YouTube they're under a category called "At Home" but they don't seem to be on par with these others in a more serialized way.


SilverSurfer wrote 17 days ago: 1

If we're taking a vote, I'd add a note to each show about the current COVID situation and what the show did in response, then add them all as specials. ymmv


SilverSurfer wrote 15 days ago: 1

https://deadline.com/2020/03/the-daily-social-distancing-show-with-trevor-noah-comedy-central-coronavirus-pandemic-1202889491/

Three episodes in, the digital The Daily Social Distancing Show with Trevor Noah is making the leap to linear television. Starting on Monday, March 23, The Daily Social Distancing Show, produced and distributed remotely, with Noah and the The Daily Show team working from their homes, will air weeknights in The Daily Show‘s 11 PM time slot on Comedy Central, part of ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Brands Group.

Call me crazy, the courts did, but this, to me, is just a series of specials during these once in a lifetime (hopefully) events.


JuanArango wrote 15 days ago: 1

I would also say those are specials.


kevin87 wrote 15 days ago: 1

But if there's more than one special like that, doesn't that count as serial specials? And aren't serial specials supposed to be their own shows? I'm fine either way, but it's going to clutter up the specials if we have a bunch of them, specifically The Tonight Show which seems like it'll probably have a lot more. Just checking them out it looks like Samantha Bee's even has it's own title card. 

The Fallon ones are also airing on TV, but as part of the rerun that night and not by itself. 


tnt wrote 15 days ago: 2

If they air in the regular time slot, replacing the planned studio episodes, I'd vote for listing them as regular episodes. This definitely would be simpler and cleaner than bunch of specials. The note of "home edition" could be put in episode description.


JuanArango wrote 15 days ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
If they air in the regular time slot, replacing the planned studio episodes, I'd vote for listing them as regular episodes. This definitely would be simpler and cleaner than bunch of specials. The note of "home edition" could be put in episode description.

ok, fair enough :)


LadyShelley wrote 15 days ago: 1

The thing is they aren't airing on the networks. The networks are airing repeats. These are airing on network YouTube channels or on the network's webpage for the shows. That, to me, reads as a separate listing. 


tnt wrote 15 days ago: 1

@LadyShelley wrote:
The thing is they aren't airing on the networks. The networks are airing repeats. These are airing on network YouTube channels or on the network's webpage for the shows. That, to me, reads as a separate listing. 

not all of them.

Jimmy Fallon, for example:
https://www.tvmaze.com/datatask/view?id=4462
Following its premiere on YouTube, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: At Home Edition” will air as part of each encore episode during the show’s nightly NBC telecast (11:35 p.m. PT -12:35 a.m. ET).

mentioned above The Daily Social Distancing Show with Trevor Noah occupying the regular slot of The Daily Show. 

i'm sure there's more examples.


kevin87 wrote 15 days ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
not all of them.

Jimmy Fallon, for example:
https://www.tvmaze.com/datatask/view?id=4462
Following its premiere on YouTube, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: At Home Edition” will air as part of each encore episode during the show’s nightly NBC telecast (11:35 p.m. PT -12:35 a.m. ET).

mentioned above The Daily Social Distancing Show with Trevor Noah occupying the regular slot of The Daily Show. 

i'm sure there's more examples.

But if they're adding stuff that has "aired" first on YouTube and the show's websites to normal episode reruns, how would we do that on the normal show's episode? With Fallon, it's going to change the runtime as well, because presumably they'll have to add 10ish minutes per episode to accommodate the At Home Edition footage. Plus who knows how long these will go for it'd clutter up specials but IMO they're not the same format to be considered a normal episode. There is also one episode of The Tonight Show: At Home Edition that didn't air on TV, they started with Lin-Manuel Miranda on TV but that was the 2nd episode. 

All that plus them giving them separate names would be new show entries


LadyShelley wrote 14 days ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
not all of them.

Jimmy Fallon, for example:
https://www.tvmaze.com/datatask/view?id=4462
Following its premiere on YouTube, “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon: At Home Edition” will air as part of each encore episode during the show’s nightly NBC telecast (11:35 p.m. PT -12:35 a.m. ET).

mentioned above The Daily Social Distancing Show with Trevor Noah occupying the regular slot of The Daily Show. 

i'm sure there's more examples.

To me that reads that the short bits are premiering on YouTube first, then are added to the repeats. Anyone actually watch these shows to know what's going on? 


tnt wrote 14 days ago: 1

@LadyShelley wrote:
To me that reads that the short bits are premiering on YouTube first, then are added to the repeats. Anyone actually watch these shows to know what's going on? 

Have you read the whole press release? From what I understand, the first episode premiered on Tube, the rest are going to air. Honestly I have no idea, are they gonna be aired first and then put on Tube, or vise versa, or simultaneously.  

Anyways, I made my point, the decision is up to TPTB.


kevin87 wrote 14 days ago: 1

@LadyShelley wrote:
To me that reads that the short bits are premiering on YouTube first, then are added to the repeats. Anyone actually watch these shows to know what's going on? 

Yeah, "following it's premiere on YouTube" to me sounds like the episodes will be online first and then be on that night's rerun, not that the show will go from online-only to TV-only. I don't watch every episode of a talk show to begin with, just the ones with guests I'm interested in and definitely don't watch reruns... but we can see if tonight's episode goes up on YouTube before it starts to air on TV if nothing else. Too bad YouTube doesn't have upload times in addition to dates. But even still, the TV airings started with Lin-Manuel Miranda but that was the 2nd episode on YouTube, they skipped "The Tonight Show: At Home Edition (The First One)" on TV.


LadyShelley wrote 14 days ago: 1

To further muddy the waters, this just showed up from the NBC press releases: 

Monday, March 23: At Home Edition: Trevor Noah plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1225E

Tuesday, March 24: At Home Edition: John Legend plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1226E

Wednesday, March 25: At Home Edition: Niall Horan plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1227E

Thursday, March 26: At Home Edition: Alec Baldwin plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1228E

Friday, March 27: At Home Edition: Tina Fey plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1229E

Monday, March 30: At Home Edition: TBD guest plus Best of Fallon moments. Show 1230E

So, from the "E" on the end of the episode numbers, that looks like the production is counting these as new(ish) episodes. Still unclear if the new content is premiering at the normal time or on YouTube or the NBC site first, however. 


kevin87 wrote 14 days ago: 1

I remembered to check Fallon, but it was 30 minutes into the episode. He was introducing an old Bradley Cooper clip from home, but the At Home stuff wasn't online yet, so I guess those portions go online after the episode, and perhaps the At Home stuff comes first and then they do the Best Of.


SilverSurfer wrote 13 days ago: 1

Just tossing it out for discussion but ... is it worthwhile trying to apply the current rules/policy to shows/episodes that are likely undergoing a once in a lifetime event?

Perhaps take tnt's idea of adding them as regular episodes is best ... add a note to the show wiki and/or each episode summary about the events so our grand-kids know what we did back in '20 when the world went to hell in a hand-basket. Trying to squeeze a virus shaped peg into a normal time hole maybe creating more work and confusion than we need.

TPTB can issue a once in a lifetime pandemic waiver to cover the situation.

Stay safe & carry on!


gazza911 wrote 13 days ago: 1

There's too much unclear stuff here.

Once we have a concrete understanding of what's going on, a decision can be made.


kevin87 wrote 13 days ago: 1

@SilverSurfer wrote:
Just tossing it out for discussion but ... is it worthwhile trying to apply the current rules/policy to shows/episodes that are likely undergoing a once in a lifetime event?

Perhaps take tnt's idea of adding them as regular episodes is best ... add a note to the show wiki and/or each episode summary about the events so our grand-kids know what we did back in '20 when the world went to hell in a hand-basket. Trying to squeeze a virus shaped peg into a normal time hole maybe creating more work and confusion than we need.

TPTB can issue a once in a lifetime pandemic waiver to cover the situation.

Stay safe & carry on!

Normal episodes is fine with me since they put it on TV before online now. Just do the episode titles like normal using the guests but add "At Home Edition:" to the beginning and you can use summary from nbc.com with maybe "Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, new content was filmed at home" and maybe even list off the clips for additional information... because the episode wasn't just At Home for 30 minutes and then clips, it was cut together. Checking out the full episode video on nbc.com, it has some of the usual pre-interview stuff Fallon does but just done at home, then Trevor Noah via webcam, then Bradley Cooper clip, followed by DJ D-Nice by webcam, then it's a clip of a Lip Sync Battle with Emma Stone and ends with Jimmy and his daughters saying bye.

The other late night shows might not be as simple to do though. Probably don't have to worry about Samantha Bee's though, they only had two Beeing At Home episodes and will be back on air with the normal show this week, but just filmed in her backyard.

pietrpahn wrote 13 days ago: 1

The Daily Show is airing on TV in the regular slot.  It was a full half hour of all new content last night just filmed on phones.  Why can't this be a regular episode?


JuanArango wrote 12 days ago: 1

@pietrpahn wrote:
The Daily Show is airing on TV in the regular slot.  It was a full half hour of all new content last night just filmed on phones.  Why can't this be a regular episode?

I also think we could add those as normal episodes.

.