Try 30 days of free premium.

Show AKA's

TonyMayhew wrote 7 days ago: 1

I've noticed a lot of shows on TVmaze have a Russian AKA which, AFAIK, are not official AKA's used by Russian networks, but just translations.

For instance, Jonathan Ross' Comedy Club, Mary Berry's Simple Comforts, Nadiya Bakes, Bel-Air are just a snippet of some recently added shows that have a Russian AKA, 2 of which are still In Development.

From the Date Policies: "An AKA may only be added when that name is officially used by the show's Network or Web Channel".

I could be totally wrong here, but I find it hard to believe these shows & the many others are airing in the Russian Federation so quickly that an AKA would even be known yet.

All the above and the many, many more AKA's were added by the same user, who i will not name here. TPTB have a way to check that info, rather than me calling them out :)

JuanArango wrote 7 days ago: 1

@TonyMayhew wrote:
I've noticed a lot of shows on TVmaze have a Russian AKA which, AFAIK, are not official AKA's used by Russian networks, but just translations.

For instance, Jonathan Ross' Comedy Club, Mary Berry's Simple Comforts, Nadiya Bakes, Bel-Air are just a snippet of some recently added shows that have a Russian AKA, 2 of which are still In Development.

From the Date Policies: "An AKA may only be added when that name is officially used by the show's Network or Web Channel".

I could be totally wrong here, but I find it hard to believe these shows & the many others are airing in the Russian Federation so quickly that an AKA would even be known yet.

All the above and the many, many more AKA's were added by the same user, who i will not name here. TPTB have a way to check that info, rather than me calling them out :)

First you are correct, the policy right now forbids that, but I think to be more user friendly we should allow such a thing, so that people who are using  adifferent alphabet can search and find the shows here :)

TonyMayhew wrote 6 days ago: 1

I don't get why you would allow something that very clearly doesn't follow the guidelines set in the data polices, but OK. You might wanna add something to the policy that allows AKA's to be set to anything depending on the language spoken by the user adding the data. 

JuanArango wrote 6 days ago: 1

@TonyMayhew wrote:
I don't get why you would allow something that very clearly doesn't follow the guidelines set in the data polices, but OK. You might wanna add something to the policy that allows AKA's to be set to anything depending on the language spoken by the user adding the data. 

No, no, i said you are correct, it is forbidden, but before we go delete all those aka I would like to suggest to allow it so that we are more user friendly.

gazza911 wrote 6 days ago: 1

I think that when a name is used consistently enough in one country, to a degree that it's not known by any other names there, that it should be allowed even if it wasn't the original network who assigned that name.

That currently isn't the case (so would require a policy change).

I'd still have a problem with random fan translations though.

tnt wrote 6 days ago: 3

@gazza911 wrote:
I think that when a name is used consistently enough in one country, to a degree that it's not known by any other names there, that it should be allowed even if it wasn't the original network who assigned that name.

That currently isn't the case (so would require a policy change).

I'd still have a problem with random fan translations though.

The thing with Russia is that there is a number (about 10 or so) of non-official (read pirate) release groups, doing a translation of foreign shows, and since they love to be "creative" and do things "their own way", the same show could have 3-4 different Russian names (sometimes a very unexpected ones). Usually, those groups post TV-related news on their websites, translating the names of upcoming shows. Considering that most of the viewers who prefer pirated content don't bother to learn English, and each release group have their devotees, we have a bunch of different AKAs. No policy would fix that, for obvious reasons, the people still be adding them no matter what ))
Some shows, however, are being broadcasted on TV or released on curated web-channels, therefore they would have a legit Russian AKA.

On the other hand, I see no harm in having all names under which the show is known as AKAs. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the difference if it's official or not, as long as it is known under this name for a group of people speaking the same language?

JuanArango wrote 6 days ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
The thing with Russia is that there is a number (about 10 or so) of non-official (read pirate) release groups, doing a translation of foreign shows, and since they love to be "creative" and do things "their own way", the same show could have 3-4 different Russian names (sometimes a very unexpected ones). Usually, those groups post TV-related news on their websites, translating the names of upcoming shows. Considering that most of the viewers who prefer pirated content don't bother to learn English, and each release group have their devotees, we have a bunch of different AKAs. No policy would fix that, for obvious reasons, the people still be adding them no matter what ))
Some shows, however, are being broadcasted on TV or released on curated web-channels, therefore they would have a legit Russian AKA.

On the other hand, I see no harm in having all names under which the show is known as AKAs. Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the difference if it's official or not, as long as it is known under this name for a group of people speaking the same language?

I fully agree here!

Nikquest wrote 6 days ago: 2

As the same Russian viewer, I can say that @tnt , in principle, wrote everything right. Only release groups we have far from 10, their number exceeds 40 :D But, as a rule, I personally can add the Russian-language AKA (although I rarely do this), so that it would be more convenient to search for the series later both here and on the website that is used in our country and synchronizes with yours, takes information from it. I just saw a sad picture more than once that people are lazy to search for the original names of the show, and AKA can help such lazy people. The search engine of our site picks up all your names and all AKA, so people simply, by virtue of habit, write first in Russian.

Try 30 days of free premium.