Try 30 days of free premium.

The Late Show's Showtime Election Night Special

tvjjbj12 wrote 3 years ago: 1

How should this episode be documented on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert? Check the episode list: https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/2756/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/episodes

"The Late Show's Showtime Election Night Special" is the title used in the below press release. But it is also titled "Stephen Colbert's Election Night 2020: Democracy's Last Stand: Building Back America Great Again Better 2020." Really...that's a comedian for you. :)   The show image also gives the long title.

It was added on November 2 using the November 3rd Showtime Channel airdate. Should this Special be "Significant" or "Insignificant"?  After watching it, I recommend "Significant."

Then on November 4th, a CBS show press release posted listing The Late Show guests for November 4-6:  https://www.viacomcbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/the-late-show-with-stephen-colbert/releases/view?id=56280. It lists the November 6 airing on CBS of this Special of the Showtime Special. Should it move to November 6 per the press release and as it aired on CBS? I recommend listing it on November 6th since that's when it aired on CBS.

Request input. 

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

@tvjjbj12 wrote:

To answer your question, I'd say the best option is to list it as a significant special (because it has the same premise as the rest of the show) with Showtime's airdate (after recent policy changes, the season consistency rule does not apply to specials anymore).

However, it seems that Colbert already hosted a similar special on Showtime in 2016 https://variety.com/2020/tv/columns/stephen-colbert-election-night-special-2016-2020-1234821833/, which makes those specials a serial, so they need to be separated into their own entry.

@gazza911 @JuanArango @Thomas what's your take on this?

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
To answer your question, I'd say the best option is to list it as a significant special (because it has the same premise as the rest of the show) with Showtime's airdate (after recent policy changes, the season consistency rule does not apply to specials anymore).

However, it seems that Colbert already hosted a similar special on Showtime in 2016 https://variety.com/2020/tv/columns/stephen-colbert-election-night-special-2016-2020-1234821833/, which makes those specials a serial, so they need to be separated into their own entry.

@gazza911 @JuanArango @Thomas what's your take on this?

Either we list it as a significant special with the Showtime date or we make a new show out of it. 

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 0

Definitely not a new series as it's not an annual event.. Better stick to keeping them as a significant special.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 2

Considering there's multiple in the same format and both premiered on Showtime rather than CBS, I'd say it should be a separate show. 

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 1

@Thomas wrote:
Definitely not a new series as it's not an annual event..

It's quadrennial, what difference does it make? Anyway, the policy does not demand a fixed schedule for a curated show. The only requirements are: at least two correlated episodes, aired on the same network, and have an overlap in plot/cast/crew. All requirements are met in this case.

I'm not insisting on creating a separate series, but it seems to fall under the policy requirements.

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
It's quadrennial, what difference does it make? Anyway, the policy does not demand a fixed schedule for a curated show. The only requirements are: at least two correlated episodes, aired on the same network, and have an overlap in plot/cast/crew. All requirements are met in this case.

I'm not insisting on creating a separate series, but it seems to fall under the policy requirements.

Well according to our policy, only yearly television events are allowed and it's not described in our grey area as that solely mentions ''movies''., so the show should not be allowed as new series in my perspective. 

https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/13/shows

Now I just spoke with Gazza and Juan about it, but I'm not in favour of adding them as significant specials right now as they told me that they did not air on the same network as the show does.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 2

Ok, let us vote if we add it as significant specials or as a show of its own!

@JuanArango wrote:
Ok, let us vote if we add it as significant specials or as a show of its own!

How about not adding it at all? 

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 2

@Thomas wrote:
How about not adding it at all? 

that would be against our policy :)

tnt wrote 3 years ago: 2

@Thomas wrote:
Well according to our policy, only yearly television events are allowed and it's not described in our grey area as that solely mentions ''movies''., so the show should not be allowed as new series in my perspective. 

https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/13/shows

Where do you put something, which is not covered by the policy at all? Biannual and quadrennial shows are not mentioned as allowed, nor as not allowed, and do not fall under a grey area description. So what, we just pretend this kind of show does not exist? I think they were simply forgotten when the policy was written.

Now I just spoke with Gazza and Juan about it, but I'm not in favour of adding them as significant specials right now as they told me that they did not air on the same network as the show does.

But the season consistency rule does not apply to any specials, so this fact is irrelevant, no?

I'm just trying to make sense of it for future reference.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 0

@tnt wrote:
Where do you put something, which is not covered by the policy at all? Biannual and quadrennial shows are not mentioned as allowed, nor as not allowed, and do not fall under a grey area description. So what, we just pretend this kind of show does not exist? I think they were simply forgotten when the policy was written.

But the season consistency rule does not apply to any specials, so this fact is irrelevant, no?

ok, I vote for adding it as significant specials

@tnt wrote:

Apparently I have never known about that new rule, of which I just got informed of by Juan and Gazza, so I suggest to stick to specials for it and not create it as a show. I don't think it's justifiable to create a new shows based on these facts for it being quadrennial.... What if a show happens once every ten year.... will we still add it? I think we should draw a line by an annual event.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 2

My vote is for a new show;

- It's scheduled on a returning event (which will always continue every 4 years).
- Both specials are on the same Network which is not the same as the main show
- There's more than one special of the same format

@Thomas wrote:
Apparently I have never known about that new rule, of which I just got informed of by Juan and Gazza, so I suggest to stick to specials for it and not create it as a show. 

Yes, but those specials are bearing all marks of a serial format, and the policy demands creating a separate entry in such cases.

What if a show happens once every ten year.... will we still add it?

We have scripted shows where the gap between seasons is more than 10 years, but we still consider it the same show. Does it really matter, how many years are passed between the episodes/seasons, as long as they follow the same format and have overlap in cast/crew?

@gazza911 wrote:
My vote is for a new show;

+1

seems in line with the policy

kevin87 wrote 3 years ago: 1

The CBS version was a network presentation, same runtime but Showtime version is rated TV-MA so I'd guess CBS is edited for language at the very least.

Putting it as a new show might mean people don't know it exists and would lead to it getting re-added on the show page.

@kevin87 wrote:

Putting it as a new show might mean people don't know it exists and would lead to it getting re-added on the show page.

This could be solved by adding a show relation.

Try 30 days of free premium.