Try 30 days of free premium.

Why is Boomerang Still Rerunning Be Cool Scooby-Doo if It's a Critical and Commercial Failure?

SquidRoo2020 wrote a year ago: 0

Scooby-Doo ad The Mystery Inc Gag were the most cherished icons from my childhood. "Were" is the operative word in that sentence after I saw the premiere of their new "Be Cool" on Cartoon Network. Anyone who grew up with the original know how well they get along" None of those classic qualities were present in this reboot. Instead, we got crude sound effects and raunchy jokes about homoeroticism and consumption of human waste. 

Now, I have absolutely nothing against people with alternative sexual orientations, but I believe there's a right way and a wrong way to present them in the media, and 2015 reboot failed miserably at it. Sure, there were various hints at making them like the Jersey Shore's characters can work, but seriously, didn't Warnner Brothers and Co. have any second thoughts about the whole "Game of Chicken" episode? I seriously doubt protraying chicken people as walking stereotypes would work, would you ever resort to that kind of humor? Seriously, it felt less like a Scooby-Doo show and more like a piece of perverted fanfiction from a disturbed 12-year-old girl. 

The premiere episode was the first sign of the show's inevitable downfall. Warner Brothers marketed the show as a adult cartoon, gave it a TV-PG rating, and put it in the same block of programming with kid superheros getting abused by a green monkey teacher and a Squirrel with a massive ego that always backfires. All this, presumably, to compete with Fox's Family Guy and Comedy Central's "Brickleberry." And for what? "Be Cool Scoby-Doo" lacks the heart of "BoJack Horseman" and the wit of "F is For Family" Not to mention how the show's TV-PG rating makes it unfit for children, although children are the only people who might find the show even remotely funny. "Ha ha ha, they're being abusive! to each other I can abused my frieds too! When I grow up, I wanna live in a haunted maison w/ a ghost just like Mystery Inc!" 

In closing, Warner Brother did the right think by canceling it after tanking in the ratings back in 2016.

Try 30 days of free premium.