Try 30 days of free premium.

Number of appearances incorrect count for main cast

MAT13 wrote a year ago: 2

Take a look at this characters and their number of appearances for example - https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/18175/jonny-quest-the-real-adventures/characters

Let's focus on main cast since the problem lies there because main cast can exist without being attached to any episode and in that case it will count as 1 appearance (see Bandit main cast, the character doesn't appear in any episode, should say 0 appearances).

Furthermore, when main cast character is represented by multiple actors, each actor counts as one appearance.
See Jonny Quest character for example, it says 5 appearances, but it shows only 4 episodes. That's because one actor appears under 4 episodes and another actor under 0, but it still country another actor as an appearance.

This will all end up looking correctly once I'm done watching both seasons and attache each character accordingly (since season 1 and 2 have different actors for main cast).

But there are many shows where we have attached main cast, sometimes with multiple actors for same characters, and each actor will count as 1 appearance even if the character isn't attached to any episode.

Main cast on their own should not be counted as appearances when they are not selected under any single episode.

If some show has a main character called Hero and over course of many seasons he is portrayed by 8 different actors, even if the character is not attached to any episode it would still show as 8 appearances which really doesn't make sense, does it?

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
Take a look at this characters and their number of appearances for example - https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/18175/jonny-quest-the-real-adventures/characters

Let's focus on main cast since the problem lies there because main cast can exist without being attached to any episode and in that case it will count as 1 appearance (see Bandit main cast, the character doesn't appear in any episode, should say 0 appearances).

Furthermore, when main cast character is represented by multiple actors, each actor counts as one appearance.
See Jonny Quest character for example, it says 5 appearances, but it shows only 4 episodes. That's because one actor appears under 4 episodes and another actor under 0, but it still country another actor as an appearance.

This will all end up looking correctly once I'm done watching both seasons and attache each character accordingly (since season 1 and 2 have different actors for main cast).

But there are many shows where we have attached main cast, sometimes with multiple actors for same characters, and each actor will count as 1 appearance even if the character isn't attached to any episode.

Main cast on their own should not be counted as appearances when they are not selected under any single episode.

If some show has a main character called Hero and over course of many seasons he is portrayed by 8 different actors, even if the character is not attached to any episode it would still show as 8 appearances which really doesn't make sense, does it?

When you add any actor to any show and they aren't added at episode level it always generates an appearance of one. Not ideal but in an ideal world we shouldn't be adding cast without them been added at episode level as well. I don't think this is a bug because this is the way the site has always been set up as far as I'm aware.

MAT13 wrote a year ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
When you add any actor to any show and they aren't added at episode level it always generates an appearance of one. Not ideal but in an ideal world we shouldn't be adding cast without them been added at episode level as well. I don't think this is a bug because this is the way the site has always been set up as far as I'm aware.

Okay, just thought this may have been unintentional feature in regard to counter. Why is counter counting actors instead of character's appearances in episodes anyway ;)) This is probably easily fixable and main cast not attached to any episode can either display 0 appearances or not be displayed until they are attached to at least one episode. But hey, if David is fine with the way this is for now, then all is fine :)

But yes, like you said, we probably shouldn't add main cast unless we plan to attach it to at least one episode :P

david wrote a year ago: 1

The behavior is intentional; I think it would be even more confusing if we displayed "0 appearances" for every character that doesn't have cast appearances added yet.

Try 30 days of free premium.