Try 30 days of free premium.

Shows using same name

srob650 wrote 8 years ago: 1

Thanks for the example David! I'm thinking of incorporating this type of extra scoring as a feature in pytvmaze, for potential edge cases in the future.

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

srob650 wrote:
Thanks for the example David! I'm thinking of incorporating this type of extra scoring as a feature in pytvmaze, for potential edge cases in the future.

That would be great! An API library is exactly where I think this logic belongs.

You could have the user pass any number of optional heuristics to the search (premiere year and country; but also show status, show type, language; etc) that can boost the results.

david wrote:
You could have the user pass any number of optional heuristics to the search (premiere year and country; but also show status, show type, language; etc) that can boost the results.

That was my thought as well :)

I've updated my Python API to help with this issue. Note that there are still possible scenarios where adding just one piece of data such as the year will match multiple shows. Take the above Utopia example, two of the Utopia shows premiered in 2014. In this situation, my API will return the show which premiered most recently using the whole date, not just the year. You can also add qualifiers for language, network name, and country code (us, gb, au, etc.).

See my thread or GitHub page for more info.

Dragen wrote 8 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
We already stated that we will not add country codes to show titles because they simply do not belong there.
There are no shows existing named Utopia (UK) or Shameless (US) or Eleventh Hour (US). A country code is not part of a show title, nowhere in the whole wide world. You can easily spot from which country the show is by looking at the shows main page, or looking at the station it airs on.
Why do some people want to make up something that is not existing ?
Is it too much to ask to look at the main show page to see from which country it is on ?
Do you think Tom Cruise would refer to himself as Tom Cruise (US), in case an Australian actor named Tom Cruise is also making movies ?
He certainly won't do it, because his name is Tom Cruise and NOT Tom Cruise (US).
I do not want to be harsh or anything,like that but we explained it very often, that we will not add made up stuff to a show title.
cheers
Juan

I found another show that's affected by this. Mom on CBS, and Mom on MBC. The latter shows as the first hit. Why, I have no idea. It's on an obscure korean channel, and have a short season (singular). Mom on CBS is on a well-known network, and is well-established with 3 seasons.

Using the API, searching for Mom gives the korean show. Mom 2013 gives a 404 result. Mom US gives Wie is de Mol? Mom cbs gives another 404.

To me, this is sloppy work. And we're not asking you to change or add anything to the actual titles. We're asking you to add an identifier we can use to narrow the search down. Like searching for Mom 2013 would result in a hit for the show on CBS. Or Shameless uk would give the show that aired in the UK. Include the fields for starting year and country in the search engine.
Yes, as stated earlier, no two sites have used the same type of identifier. But do you know what they all have? Every single one of them? An identifier.

You're telling people who use your API to go to the site, search for the show using the site, and look at the data presented there. This defeats the entire purpose of the API. There's no point in having the API if all you're doing is telling people not to use it.
The reason people want this, is because they run some sort of service that requires a single result.

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

Dragen wrote:
To me, this is sloppy work. And we're not asking you to change or add anything to the actual titles. We're asking you to add an identifier we can use to narrow the search down. Like searching for Mom 2013 would result in a hit for the show on CBS. Or Shameless uk would give the show that aired in the UK. Include the fields for starting year and country in the search engine.
Yes, as stated earlier, no two sites have used the same type of identifier. But do you know what they all have? Every single one of them? An identifier.

david or jan have to answer this, as this is strictly api related.

cheers
Juan

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Dragen wrote:
You're telling people who use your API to go to the site, search for the show using the site, and look at the data presented there. This defeats the entire purpose of the API. There's no point in having the API if all you're doing is telling people not to use it.
The reason people want this, is because they run some sort of service that requires a single result.

Not really; all the data you need to differentiate between shows is available on the API already. See: http://api.tvmaze.com/search/shows?q=mom

We might add more parameters to the search endpoints in the future, but for now all the information you could need is right there.

Try 30 days of free premium.