Try 30 days of free premium.

User Specific Schedule/Calendar

theAutoBots wrote 9 years ago: 1

Hi, loving the site and api so far.

I think it would be great to be able to request lists that have User's specific shows that have been followed in the Schedule endpoint. This way we wouldn't have to loop over the entire list of that days show.

Whaddya think?

Thanks!

david wrote 9 years ago: 1

Thanks, and welcome!

There currently isn't any foundation (authentication and such) for user-specific information in the API: everything it offers is public information. We'll keep an eye on requests for functionality like this, but don't get your hopes up in the short term though. :)

david wrote 9 years ago: 1

What exactly is your workflow?

We do have ICAL feeds nowadays that contains the schedule information for all shows that the user is following. It would be fairly easy to expose that same information in JSON format, so you can use it more easily in custom applications. The end-user would have to manually enter his private API token in the app though, would that work?

BodminPill wrote 8 years ago: 1

I can't find the ical feeds. I'd love to fetch them regularly to import into my calendar application. Did I understand correctly that there already are ical feeds?

I guess, JSON should suffice to use the data in applications. But in order to securely submit API tokens, the site should support secure connections first (actually the web UI should also support secure connections).

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Check your dashboard, your personal ical feed url is shown there. :)

Quinlan wrote 8 years ago: 1

Chiming in to support this feature. If the API could have a call that filters only followed shows by a user (basically our own followed shows).

With the API calls (examples) :

api.tvmaze.com/shows/followed?token=TOKENHERE&embed=episodes

and

api.tvmaze.com/shows/followed?token=TOKENHERE&embed=nextepisode

This would cover probably most basic needs for personal feeds, apps, etc. (With all the fuss, caching, etc.)

Right now I do use those feeds but I need do it per shows. If that can be made in 1 call, that would be great.

Cheers!

liiight wrote 8 years ago: 1

+1 for personal watchlists API

whoyouareisnotenough wrote 8 years ago: 1

I would really really love to have all of the profile information available. I wrote a script for mIRC for users of my personal channel that has basic information about shows and next/last episode, but what people are really interested in is sharing and comparing their stats. Shows watched, total time, stuff like that.

teambensalem wrote 8 years ago: 1

Much like the ICS file, but JSON, and only future.

Rather than making numerous API calls to all my shows, or parsing a god awful ICS file, I would love to just see a /schedule/upcoming/:apikey endpoint.

Leaving the apikey out would show upcoming shows today (or the next few days, depending on how many shows are daily). Having the username or some easily guessable way of generating the key might be exposing too much data about a person's preferences (at worst, 'outing' someone), so an API Key would probably be best.

I could probably suggest:

* /schedule/upcoming/:apikey - Every show in watchlist, Beginning of Day + 6 days

* /schedule/thisweek/:apikey - Every show in watchlist, Monday (Sunday) - Sunday (Saturday)

* /schedule/nextepisode/:apikey - The single "next" episode per show in watchlist, searching until end of season.

Thank you for this AWESOME service. You are everything that the "new" web is and should be. Kudos.

/schedule/nextepisode/ is already coded on the site as http://www.tvmaze.com/showstatus

/schedule/thisweek and /schedule/upcoming is already coded as the /calendar?filter=followed

The work is (mostly) already done, just needs to be exposed to the API. Everything is literally in the ICS file already. It's just awful to parse. It's not as if you are exposing more (or different) data than you currently already are.

Is there a github or something I can make contributions to?

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

I merged your thread with this one, @teambensalem, and thanks for the kind words BTW.

We're open to adding more functionality like this in the future. :)

david wrote:
I merged your thread with this one, @teambensalem, and thanks for the kind words BTW.
We're open to adding more functionality like this in the future. :)

Yes, I was a bit hasty posting this in the wrong forum, I joined and saw the api, your willingness to interact with the users/fans and well, I got excited and posted in the wrong forum.

After reading this, using the existing private api key with a json return is exactly what's needed, the filtering is just me being picky. Really, the downstream application can do filtering easier than generating (and caching) 3 endpoints per person.

davorb wrote 8 years ago: 1

I would love to see this as well.

jverelst wrote 7 years ago: 1

I would also love to have a JSON endpoint that I could use to get information about the shows I follow. The ICS link is a start, but it doesn't contain any Show-IDs, so it makes it very hard to use this as a source for writing code that does logic with the shows you follow.

Ideally I would support the variants that people already submitted in this thread, but a version where you just get the list of all the shows you follow as a JSON doc. would be a great resource for me!

CWagner wrote 2 years ago: 2

So I just joined, and while the site looks nice, I kinda hoped I’d be able to get the only important things for me via API: A list of episodes I have yet to watch, and a list of upcoming episodes of shows I follow.

Now I guess I can, as described here 5 years ago, awkwardly parse the ics file and combine that with API requests to somehow get usable data. But having some proper endpoints would make it so much easier, and I’d probably build something to add it to my home-assistant (smart home controlling software) dashboard.

Is there any chance this can be revisited?

david wrote 2 years ago: 1

Fair enough. Back 5 years ago we didn't actually have a user-level API so the foundation just wasn't there. But we do now, and adding some endpoints would make sense. I'll consider it!

Try 30 days of free premium.