Try 30 days of free premium.

Specials - Entry by Users or Imported?

eherberg wrote 8 years ago: 1

Just a question regarding population -- hopefully you can educate me without giving away any trade secrets.

I had been using the site and the ical feed for my personal google calendar. I happened to see online that a prequel was available prior to the start of the season of Doctor Who, but it wasn't in my feed. I realize that specials aren't in the watchlist - but thankfully are on the calendar and in the feed. I know specials are controversial with some users - but I've always thought it is preferable to have more entries with the possibility to ignore what I don't watch rather than not seeing them and missing something entirely.

Anyway - I looked over at trakt (which I hadn't looked at for a while since the problems that came with their 2.0 update). I noticed that not only was the first prequel listed, but a 2nd prequel that was made available the night before the season premiere. TVDB had those entries a full week prior. I entered them here (and thankfully somebody has fleshed them out a bit more) so they were both available.

My question is about how items like this are populated here. In the example of Doctor Who, comparing the list of specials between TVRage and TVDB shows that the specials as listed in TVRage were used to populate the list here. With no more TVRage (at least for now?), if something exists out there in another database (in this case, in TVDB for a full week before I noticed it) - do items like that get imported somehow (or would have been)?

Or for items like specials - if nobody manually enters them, would they never get entered?

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

eherberg wrote:
Just a question regarding population -- hopefully you can educate me without giving away any trade secrets.
I had been using the site and the ical feed for my personal google calendar. I happened to see online that a prequel was available prior to the start of the season of Doctor Who, but it wasn't in my feed. I realize that specials aren't in the watchlist - but thankfully are on the calendar and in the feed. I know specials are controversial with some users - but I've always thought it is preferable to have more entries with the possibility to ignore what I don't watch rather than not seeing them and missing something entirely.
Anyway - I looked over at trakt (which I hadn't looked at for a while since the problems that came with their 2.0 update). I noticed that not only was the first prequel listed, but a 2nd prequel that was made available the night before the season premiere. TVDB had those entries a full week prior. I entered them here (and thankfully somebody has fleshed them out a bit more) so they were both available.
My question is about how items like this are populated here. In the example of Doctor Who, comparing the list of specials between TVRage and TVDB shows that the specials as listed in TVRage were used to populate the list here. With no more TVRage (at least for now?), if something exists out there in another database (in this case, in TVDB for a full week before I noticed it) - do items like that get imported somehow (or would have been)?
Or for items like specials - if nobody manually enters them, would they never get entered?

Hello,

many specials on TVMaze get manually entered, but of course we can miss some once in a while :)

cheers
Juan

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

We have tools available to add episode data in bulk, or to compare our lists with those on other sources. But nothing is added to TVmaze automatically, we rely on people like you to go ahead and add it if something's missing :)

Try 30 days of free premium.