Try 30 days of free premium.

Should we use the native title or its romanized transcription for non-Latin titles?

Sylvain wrote 2 years ago: 1
Hi, First thank you all for your work on the database. FWIW, I would like to mention the great and free and API was the definitive reason for switching to the TVMaze as my primary data source for machine consumption. But that's enough praise. Now, here is my question: I would like to add the vintage Tokusatsu series 宇宙刑事ギャバン (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Sheriff_Gavan) The series was initially released in Japan, so according the the rules, I should store the Japanese title as the "main" title, and translations in the associated the AKA list. 1. But am I supposed to write the title using Kanji characters (宇宙刑事ギャバン) or using the romanized version (Uchū Keiji Gyaban) ? 2. Same question regarding the episodes titles Regards, - Sylvain

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 1

Hi, First thank you all for your work on the database. FWIW, I would like to mention the great and free and API was the definitive reason for switching to the TVMaze as my primary data source for machine consumption. But that's enough praise. Now, here is my question: I would like to add the vintage Tokusatsu series 宇宙刑事ギャバン (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Sheriff_Gavan) The series was initially released in Japan, so according the the rules, I should store the Japanese title as the "main" title, and translations in the associated the AKA list. 1. But am I supposed to write the title using Kanji characters (宇宙刑事ギャバン) or using the romanized version (Uchū Keiji Gyaban) ? 2. Same question regarding the episodes titles Regards, - Sylvain

If the series has no given English title by the network, then it is both ok, you can use the Kanji or the romanized version. I prefer the romanized version tho, we use this almost everywhere on the site.

Sylvain wrote 2 years ago: 1
Ok for the remanized version. Should I add the Kanji title in the AKA list?

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 1

Ok for the remanized version. Should I add the Kanji title in the AKA list?

I do not think this is necessary for the episodes, for the show title you can do it.

Try 30 days of free premium.