Try 30 days of free premium.

Canadian shows use America/St_Johns time zone instead of Eastern tz

NathanDrake83 wrote 8 years ago: 1

Hello,

I've noticed here that Canadian shows use the America/St_Johns time zone (UTC-2.5, used in Newfoundland only), instead of the Eastern TZ (UTC-5) which is the most commonly used as reference, especially by official sites.

Would you consider to change this and replace it with the Eastern TZ as main one? So timestamp would better reflect the actual time, and Canadian broadcasting would be better aligned with US broadcasting! ;)

Thanks!

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Ah, interesting. This probably isn't very sane indeed. I'll look into this and fix it!

david wrote:
Ah, interesting. This probably isn't very sane indeed. I'll look into this and fix it!

Thanks David!

Another strange behaviour I've just noticed is related to Doctor Who: in the UK page is reported the USA broadcasting by BBC America, instead of the UK broadcasting by BBC One, which is the main network which actually produces the show. Obviously this means that the timestamp uses the US Eastern time zone instead of the British/UTC+0 tz.

Besides, it's quite strange to me that it's marked as a BBC America series, I cannot find such link in the show page (which actually says that it's a BBC One show).

Could you please fix this as well?

Thanks!

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

NathanDrake83 wrote:
Thanks David!
Another strange behaviour I've just noticed is related to Doctor Who: in the UK page is reported the USA broadcasting by BBC America, instead of the UK broadcasting by BBC One, which is the main network which actually produces the show. Obviously this means that the timestamp uses the US Eastern time zone instead of the British/UTC+0 tz.
Besides, it's quite strange to me that it's marked as a BBC America series, I cannot find such link in the show page (which actually says that it's a BBC One show).
Could you please fix this as well?
Thanks!

This is already fixed, a contributor made a mistake there :)

cheers
Juan

JuanArango wrote:
This is already fixed, a contributor made a mistake there :)
cheers
Juan

ah ok, better this way! I don't see the API page updated but I guess it will refresh the info, eventually!

Thanks Juan!

I checked it out and Newfoundland definitely doesn't seem to be the right choice, as they don't appear to get a dedicated "local timezone" TV feed.

But shouldn't it be Canada/Atlantic (GMT-4) rather than Canada/Eastern (GMT-5), as that's the earliest timezone where new episodes premiere?

david wrote:
I checked it out and Newfoundland definitely doesn't seem to be the right choice, as they don't appear to get a dedicated "local timezone" TV feed.
But shouldn't it be Canada/Atlantic (GMT-4) rather than Canada/Eastern (GMT-5), as that's the earliest timezone where new episodes premiere?

From my understanding, the Atlantic tz receives the same feed as Eastern tz, "but with most programming advanced by an hour, and 10:00 p.m. programming either aired earlier in the evening or on another day" (see wikipedia).

Furthermore, TV networks official sites always report the Eastern time, so it seems to me that Eastern is the main reference.

Maybe someone who lives in Canada could give us some suggestion about this! :)

If I understand it correctly, people in the Atlantic timezone can see an episode 1 hour before people in the Eastern timezone. If that's indeed the case, the Atlantic timezone is the one we should track and the air times should be entered in the Atlantic timezone.

I'll wait and see for a bit if someone from Canada shows up to enlighten us. :)

FYI, the timezone for Canadian shows has meanwhile been changed to Canada/Atlantic.

Any additional feedback on this, please open a new thread.

Try 30 days of free premium.