Try 30 days of free premium.

Additional rating category

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

I often find myself very difficult to determine how high or low to rate some episode, tv show, or something else. Especially when ratings are in range from 1 to 10. Sure, I can consider that as 1-5 and then lower or higher version of each number. But even with that, it's hard to keep it consistent and I often find that two episodes I may rate the same are not nearly of the meaning I like them the same and cannot prefer one or another.

This often makes me not rate something at all because... well, it's difficult. I don't rate some episode or show 10 stars simply because I am fan of it.

These ratings can stay, but I would propose to have "Like / Dislike" option on each episode and/or tv show.
I have no problem determining whether I like something or not. I may like an episode that I would otherwise give 3 our of 10 stars.

Seeing shows like "Arrow" with 522 votes an average of 7.4 score just tells me there are many DC fans, not that it's a show people like regardless.

Personally, when I watched season 1 of "Arrow" back in the days I found it incredible, and would definitely give it 9-10 rating.
But over time, the show became so silly and everybody got super-powers and fighting looked like in show for little children, most of later seasons are 1 star or 2 at best.
My opinion on "Flash" is quite similar. It came to the point of being downright unwatchable. By that I mean terribly terribly boring and silly to watch (that's my opinion, I am not preferring Marvel of DC... actually, I am, but that is because their shows are just better and more interesting and less childish, not because of characters they feature).

But I'm not going to give each episode rating in range of 1 to 10 because it's just too hard to keep it consistent. But have "Like" or "Dislike" option would be very easy to handle regardless of tv show or episode.

On youtube when you see 10,000 likes and 54 dislikes you can get a general idea, but if you saw a score of 6.5 it would be less meaningful, imho.

So, my suggestion is to simply add "Like/Dislike" button for each episode (and TV show, though that can be optional). This would also work pretty fast for the database as it would only count number of "like" and "dislike" votes, no calculation of average.

I know that having two rating systems may seem silly and redundant but I can't see any another way.

Perhaps if current range would be cut in half and assigned words that would reflect each ratings (i.e. 1 - I hate it, 2 - I don't like it, 3 - It's okay, 4 - I like it, 5 - I love it).
But still, the "like/dislike" option seems the best option, imho. So many factors affect the ratings and it can really be difficult to give something the right subjective score, but everyone can always tell if they liked or disliked something.

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 2

@MAT13 wrote:
I often find myself very difficult to determine how high or low to rate some episode, tv show, or something else. Especially when ratings are in range from 1 to 10. Sure, I can consider that as 1-5 and then lower or higher version of each number. But even with that, it's hard to keep it consistent and I often find that two episodes I may rate the same are not nearly of the meaning I like them the same and cannot prefer one or another.

This often makes me not rate something at all because... well, it's difficult. I don't rate some episode or show 10 stars simply because I am fan of it.

These ratings can stay, but I would propose to have "Like / Dislike" option on each episode and/or tv show.
I have no problem determining whether I like something or not. I may like an episode that I would otherwise give 3 our of 10 stars.

Seeing shows like "Arrow" with 522 votes an average of 7.4 score just tells me there are many DC fans, not that it's a show people like regardless.

Personally, when I watched season 1 of "Arrow" back in the days I found it incredible, and would definitely give it 9-10 rating.
But over time, the show became so silly and everybody got super-powers and fighting looked like in show for little children, most of later seasons are 1 star or 2 at best.
My opinion on "Flash" is quite similar. It came to the point of being downright unwatchable. By that I mean terribly terribly boring and silly to watch (that's my opinion, I am not preferring Marvel of DC... actually, I am, but that is because their shows are just better and more interesting and less childish, not because of characters they feature).

But I'm not going to give each episode rating in range of 1 to 10 because it's just too hard to keep it consistent. But have "Like" or "Dislike" option would be very easy to handle regardless of tv show or episode.

On youtube when you see 10,000 likes and 54 dislikes you can get a general idea, but if you saw a score of 6.5 it would be less meaningful, imho.

So, my suggestion is to simply add "Like/Dislike" button for each episode (and TV show, though that can be optional). This would also work pretty fast for the database as it would only count number of "like" and "dislike" votes, no calculation of average.

I know that having two rating systems may seem silly and redundant but I can't see any another way.

Perhaps if current range would be cut in half and assigned words that would reflect each ratings (i.e. 1 - I hate it, 2 - I don't like it, 3 - It's okay, 4 - I like it, 5 - I love it).
But still, the "like/dislike" option seems the best option, imho. So many factors affect the ratings and it can really be difficult to give something the right subjective score, but everyone can always tell if they liked or disliked something.

I do not think we should do a LIKE/Dislike button, reminds me too much of facebook and stuff.

Try 30 days of free premium.