Try 30 days of free premium.

Shows In Hiatus & Indefinite Hiatus

TrueSatan wrote 8 years ago: 1

The Wikipedia entry explains most of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(television) . Additionally consider the situation with Torchwood where the Indefinite Hiatus is generated by the producer/writer wishing to take a break..." In October 2012, Davies announced that for personal reasons the show would enter indefinite hiatus"

Currently we have such shows listed as Ended (which is not truly accurate) or as Running (which is just as innacurate). I suggest we have both designations so as to show a distinction between a break with an expected limited duration and one with no known end point.

TrueSatan wrote:
The Wikipedia entry explains most of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiatus_(television) . Additionally consider the situation with Torchwood where the Indefinite Hiatus is generated by the producer/writer wishing to take a break..." In October 2012, Davies announced that for personal reasons the show would enter indefinite hiatus"
Currently we have such shows listed as Ended (which is not truly accurate) or as Running (which is just as innacurate). I suggest we have both designations so as to show a distinction between a break with an expected limited duration and one with no known end point.

An additional Indefinite Hiatus example would be Red Dwarf

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

TrueSatan wrote:
An additional Indefinite Hiatus example would be Red Dwarf

I am not sure about this, we discussed this before starting the site and decided to only have four options:

1. In Development = It has not aired yet and is currently in shooting/production stages.

2. Running = Self explanatory

3. Ended = (we did it on purpose to not specify why and how it was ended, as there are endless discussions everywhere if a show has been cancelled or properly ended).

4. To be determined = The show has ended its current season and is awaiting a decision from the network.

The question is who decides if a show is on "indefinite hiatus", certainly not the actors, directors, writers or creators of the show. The only source who says if a show continues or not is the network it airs on. For the very, very few shows which are hanging in the balance for many years, like Red Dwarf, I think this "indefinite hiatus" option is not needed.

cheers
Juan

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

I agree. "To be Determined" sounds like a fair choice in this case, rather than adding a new option that would only be used by a handful of shows.

Firstly thank you Juan for that detailed explanation...much appreciated.

While I mostly agree with your point regarding the network control of the situation here, in the UK, we tend to have more shows on indefinite hiatus than the US. I suspect, but admittedly can't prove, that this may be due to the relatively greater balance off power residing with content creators who are being hung on to against the pull of the dollar and Hollywood/US TV. Thus we have the Torchwood and Red Dwarf situations where the network seems to bend over backwards to placate the content creators.

Onto Admin's reply...

Thank you for replying. If things are done as you outline then Torchwood, which currently is listed as Ended needs an alteration as does Red Dwarf which currently is listed as Running.

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

TrueSatan wrote:
Firstly thank you Juan for that detailed explanation...much appreciated.
While I mostly agree with your point regarding the network control of the situation here, in the UK, we tend to have more shows on indefinite hiatus than the US. I suspect, but admittedly can't prove, that this may be due to the relatively greater balance off power residing with content creators who are being hung on to against the pull of the dollar and Hollywood/US TV. Thus we have the Torchwood and Red Dwarf situations where the network seems to bend over backwards to placate the content creators.
Onto Admin's reply...
Thank you for replying. If things are done as you outline then Torchwood, which currently is listed as Ended needs an alteration as does Red Dwarf which currently is listed as Running.

Yeh, I changed both to "to be determined" now :)

cheers
Juan

Try 30 days of free premium.