Try 30 days of free premium.

Adding a genre endpoint

yoloswag wrote a year ago: 0

I saw that this feature was kinda considered 7 years ago and still not available.
Hence I do somehow make a "+1" with this post. Right now, I need to do an ugly backend proxy to create one myself, I think it could be done better.
Also, I don't really understand why this is not in place (read the 7 years message tho) since it's a basic thing to have.

david wrote a year ago: 1

What data would you want a genre endpoint to return?

yoloswag wrote a year ago: 1

Basically having something like: "give me a paginated list of films related to [action/horror/romance/etc]"

Would be quite handy to have the top 10 best comedy films for example.

gazza911 wrote a year ago: 1

This would essentially be the shows endpoint filtered to a genre.

Given that the shows endpoint is very large, it would be an enormous amount of extra data to cache for every possible genre.

It should be noted that this isn't the first time it has been suggested.

momijigari wrote a year ago: 1

@yoloswag wrote:
Basically having something like: "give me a paginated list of films related to [action/horror/romance/etc]"

Would be quite handy to have the top 10 best comedy films for example.

While there are some tv-movies (films?) listed here, there are mainly shows/series.

yoloswag wrote a year ago: 1

@gazza911 wrote:
This would essentially be the shows endpoint filtered to a genre.

Given that the shows endpoint is very large, it would be an enormous amount of extra data to cache for every possible genre.

It should be noted that this isn't the first time it has been suggested.

Yep I know but still (did some research before posting). 

Still I think this is basic thing that should be in this API. 

david wrote a year ago: 1

Unfortunately, this is one of those things that's not likely to appear in the free/public API.

Given the huge amount of requests that the public API is handling for free, it's optimized for efficiency and not necessarily for feature completeness. Adding endpoints such as filtering by genre would cost more resources than we can afford to spend.

Try 30 days of free premium.