Try 30 days of free premium.

What is the primary/common English title of a show?

tvm52237 wrote a year ago: 1

Is it possible to reliably find out what the primary/common English title of a show is?

Example: https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/63789/munich-games

This show is German but as the what I am guessing(?) is the German title "Munich Games" is basically the English title also?

Should "Munich Games" be added to the AKAs?  This doesn't seem to make sense though.

Is this just a edge case or can the problem be solved somehow?

Thanks

@david wrote:
What you could do is check whether the show has an AKA linked to the US or the UK. For example, see https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/4903/alarm-fur-cobra-11/akas or https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/6561/kommissar-rex/akas 

Thought I would post here as not sure that "Munich Games" is in German?

Assuming that is the correct German title adding an AKA with the same title of the show is acceptable?

If it is acceptable I would use a UK AKA to match the already specific UK air dates?

Thanks

CosmicHowl wrote a year ago: 1

Although it's not written in german, Munich Games is the German title used by WOW
It's the same title in the UK on Sky Atlantic, so there is no need to add a country specific AKA as it would be a duplicate name.

That is what I thought and why I posted. 

So there is no way of finding the actual English title?  

The language of the show is set to German so you expect the title to be German.

I hope I am explaining the issue.

I guess the way things are currently set up it is not fixable.

CosmicHowl wrote a year ago: 2

@tvm52237 wrote:
That is what I thought and why I posted. 

So there is no way of finding the actual English title?  

The language of the show is set to German so you expect the title to be German.

I hope I am explaining the issue.

I guess the way things are currently set up it is not fixable.

The episodes are mainly spoken in German, as well as English, Arabic and Hebrew.
The show title is in English. It is the same title in Germany (original broadcasting country) and the UK.

Hope that makes sense?

@CosmicHowl wrote:
Hope that makes sense?

Yes - those are the rules.

However......it does not help with my issue (probably not solvable) - here is my reasoning......

What is the show title: Munich Games
What language: German
If the language is English great we know the title
If the language isn't English look at the AKAs
Look for a country where main language is English like USA and use that: None
An AKA with a blank country is probably a generic English name so use that: Found use the title Munich Match

So it is not possible to deduce the correct English title unless you use specific manual knowledge.  

There are other intricacies this is just one example.

Thanks

CosmicHowl wrote a year ago: 2

Munich Games is made by Sky, who broadcast across Europe. The language as German and show title in English is a decision that Sky has made - there is no German language show title.

There will be odd differences like this with international TV companies, but as TVMaze copy the official information given by the TV companies, it's not something we can change :)

Try 30 days of free premium.