Try 30 days of free premium.

Naruto episodes in Japanese characters instead of English

Jiyu wrote 7 months ago: 2

Why are the episode titles for the anime series Naruto in Japanese characters (Hiragana and Kanji)? They used to be in English and need to remain in English. I doubt many users of TV Maze can read Japanese characters.

david wrote 7 months ago: 1

I'm not familiar with Naruto specifically, but the relevant part of the policy is:

Normally, the name's original language and character set should be used, no translations or transliterations. However, some shows are known by multiple names, all of which can be considered official. This mainly happens with - Japanese - anime shows, which can have a name in the Chinese/Kanji character set (like "進撃の巨人"), a transliterated Latin version (like "Shingeki no Kyojin") and sometimes even an English version ("One Piece").

Such a name is only considered official when it's actively used by the Show's original network or producers. Examples of that are when that name is used on the show's official website, or in a DVD release. When this is the case, the English or transliterated name takes precedence over the Kanji version. All other available names should be added as AKA. Unofficial translations or transliterations should not be used.

E.g., for a foreign show the original titles should be used unless the original network/producer is providing English titles as well.

For a non-English show, an alternate list can be created for the English language premiere (subtitles or dubbing) which will usually also come with English episode titles. 

Jiyu wrote 6 months ago: 2

Naruto and its sequel Naruto Shippuden have been shown in the United States in English for decades now. Its episode titles have ALWAYS been listed in English on episode guides in the US, never in hiragana, katakana, or kanji, except in guides (like those on Wikipedia) that display BOTH the English titles and the Nihongo (Japanese) titles. Epguides.com uses TVMaze as its source for episode names, and it is an entirely English-based guide compendium. TVMaze changing the titles it displays for this series from English to Japanese characters has made up the guides on BOTH sites useless to English speakers.

JuanArango wrote 6 months ago: 2

@Jiyu wrote:
Naruto and its sequel Naruto Shippuden have been shown in the United States in English for decades now. Its episode titles have ALWAYS been listed in English on episode guides in the US, never in hiragana, katakana, or kanji, except in guides (like those on Wikipedia) that display BOTH the English titles and the Nihongo (Japanese) titles. Epguides.com uses TVMaze as its source for episode names, and it is an entirely English-based guide compendium. TVMaze changing the titles it displays for this series from English to Japanese characters has made up the guides on BOTH sites useless to English speakers.

I can create an alternate list for the English premiere, if you want me too? Those will use English title then. :)

JuanArango wrote 6 months ago: 2

@Jiyu wrote:

I created the list and will fill in the eps over the next days or week hopefully :)

https://www.tvmaze.com/alternatelists/2182/naruto-united-states-country-premiere

Try 30 days of free premium.