Try 30 days of free premium.

Episodes airing after midnight

david wrote 9 years ago: 1

I'm not sure if anyone geeky enough to care about these sorts of details has found their way to tvmaze yet, but if so I'd love to hear some opinions about this.

The issue is episodes that air after midnight, such as Craig Ferguson or Seth Meyers. If an episode airs in the night of Monday October 20 to Tuesday October 21, should we note the airdate as october 20 or as october 21?

Of course technically once midnight has passed the date has changed, so the correct airdate would be october 21. Though some (most?) other sources out there consider such episodes as part of the previous day, and thus use an airdate of october 20, which is technically incorrect but might "feel" like the most logical thing to do. We aim to gather the most accurate data as possible, but I'm not sure about the right thing to do here.

Please note that either way this won't affect the schedule you will see on the site or in our API: these are smart enough to include all episodes until 04:00 AM the next day.

david wrote 9 years ago: 1

After some further thought and deliberation, we went with the option of using the "previous" day's airdate, as this is the standard used nearly everywhere else.

To make sure this standard is followed consistently across the site, I added some extra checks: episodes that air after midnight are checked against their show's schedule property (e.g. fridays; monday-tuesday; monday-friday) to make sure the entered airdate in fact falls on the correct day.

Additionally, some extra help text is added to the "Create show" and "Create episode" forms to explain this policy.

Try 30 days of free premium.