Try 30 days of free premium.

Create Guest Cast

nickodemos wrote 8 years ago: 1

Was wondering if birth year could be added when a name drops down since many people over the years have the same name. I have ran into a few instances where multiple people popped up and it was a guess as to who was who just by the name.

LadyShelley wrote 8 years ago: 1

Multiple names will show other credits which does help. When I get those I do a quick check of IMDb to see which actor I really want for a particular series.

LadyShelley wrote:
Multiple names will show other credits which does help. When I get those I do a quick check of IMDb to see which actor I really want for a particular series.

Well that is kind of the idea right there. Avoiding a step of needing another site if TVMaze is to become a go to site for TV information.

Here is a good example. I am adding Sarah Hayward to a TV show guest list. There is a drop down of three examples. (This image is after I added a new listing for the name)

http://i.imgur.com/CXJQQze.jpg

Now if I did not do a basic search on IMDB I could have went with the default Sarah Hayward and it would have been wrong.

I know birth year is not the greatest idea to help separate the people with same name but it could help. Or better, default with the TV shows listed like it is above and it would help out more on accuracy than just some members blindly assuming that it is the same person, instead of only after a new person with same name happens.

nickodemos wrote:
Well that is kind of the idea right there. Avoiding a step of needing another site if TVMaze is to become a go to site for TV information.

I look at it as two different things.

As a site builder, I need to make sure I have the correct information added for a series. That means checking multiple sources if I have a question about credits. So even with the birth year or something else, I'd still double check that information with another source before going with it.

The other side is as a site user, and in that case, yes we need to be accurate so users aren't going to other places to double check the info; we should have done that already as site builders.

Does that make any sense?

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes it does make sense to make sure you have as accurate information as possible. And yet, I still think another step should be there. Easiest is as I mentioned above, making it default to showing a couple of shows that the actor/actress is already in does quickly narrow down who it might be. As I mentioned before there can be more than ten people with the same name.

nickodemos wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.
Yes it does make sense to make sure you have as accurate information as possible. And yet, I still think another step should be there. Easiest is as I mentioned above, making it default to showing a couple of shows that the actor/actress is already in does quickly narrow down who it might be. As I mentioned before there can be more than ten people with the same name.

Oh I think I get what you mean, you want a couple of credits to be the default for everyone regardless of if there is a name conflict already, more in case there is one in future.

So for example, even though there is only one James Spader right now, you would like the drop down for the actor names to say
James Spader [Boston Legal, The Blacklist]
so in case there is another James Spader sometime down the line, you can easily tell the one listed is not the new person you need for your credits list.

Yes, I can see where that would be handy.

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

Seconded. With more common names, to find out if the person is already in the database, I have to open a new window, go back to the main page and do a search, then click on the link to the person who comes up. And then see if they're the same person judging by their existing credits.

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

That should be fairly easy to do. If it helps you all out I'll definitely look into it!

Try 30 days of free premium.