Try 30 days of free premium.

Holy New Series!

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

OK, OK ... wrong sidekick ... sue me :)

Superman TV Show Reportedly In Development At The CW

https://screenrant.com/superman-tv-show-cw-tyler-hoechlin/

A new report suggests that The CW is considering launching a new Superman TV series. It's claimed that this year's Arrowverse crossover event, Elseworlds, will essentially serve as a backdoor pilot to the show. Its ultimate fate will depend on how viewers respond to the characters in the event.

and Robin Lord Taylor aka Penguin has been trying to build momentum for a fan demanded spinoff for Pengie ... #PenguinSpinoff

kevin87 wrote 5 years ago: 1

Honestly not all that surprising. I know a guest cast doesn't typically mean anything, but when they cast Bitsie Tulloch as Lois Lane it kind of seemed like either a new show was being developed or they at least were planning to bring Superman and Lois onto Supergirl more often.

Gadfly wrote 5 years ago: 1

Well, they already know if Hoechlin is popular with the fans: he's appeared before. The fact that they're bringing him back suggests that he's already got what it takes fan-response-wise to make a go of it.

A better question is... when will CW air the show? Even with their new Sunday night time slots, they're pretty full. I'd hate to see it go the half-season route that Legends and Supergirl went last year. Legends they kept together without a mid-season gap, mostly. But the gap killed a lot of the momentum on Supergirl.

A Superman series also sounds... kinda boring. So CW has a show about a person in a Krypton House of El outfit that flies around, is bulletproof, has super-strength and heat vision. And over here CW has... a show about a person in a Krypton House of El outfit that flies around, is bulletproof, has super-strength and heat vision. Yes, there are elements that are different plot-wise between the two characters. But there's a lot that are similar.

There's also the question of theme. CW manages to keep Arrow (street crime), Flash (multiversal superscience superheroes), Legends (wacky humor), Black Lightning (family drama, some street crime, and keeping it in a separate universe) and Supergirl (social commentary) pretty much separate, thematically. What would a Superman series bring to the mix? Or would it be too much like any of the above? And that's not to mention Krypton over on Syfy: do we need two Superman-ish shows?

For that matter, I don't understand Warner/CW/DC's marketing strategy. They can have two Flashes, one in the movies and one in the TV show. But they nixed the Suicide Squad on Arrow so it wouldn't confuse people with the movie. But then they have two different versions of Superman, on CW and Syfy, and a third movie one. And Batman in the movies and Batman Jr. on Gotham. Weird.

Try 30 days of free premium.