Try 30 days of free premium.

Chrome warns site contains malware

MadsM wrote 5 years ago: 1

The site ahead contains malware

Attackers currently on cm.mgid.com might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

Hi MadsM,

Thanks for reporting.
I did a quick lookup of what you're describing. It might be you have unwanted software that made unwanted changes to your computer settings. (source)
I've ran some tests and haven't been able to reproduce your error message.

If there is anyone else who has this issue please let us know and we'll investigate more closely.

best,

Jan

I'm pretty sure Chrome wasn't giving off warnings because something on my computer.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

MadsM wrote:
I'm pretty sure Chrome wasn't giving off warnings because something on my computer.

Did you visit the link that jan posted, it explains what is happening.

(source)

gazza911 wrote 5 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:

(source)

Mgid is one of the ad networks displayed on TVmaze (at the bottom of pages, the other being Revcontent) - Chrome is saying either the adverts, or the content the ads link to at some point have contained malware.

The link Jan posted is unrelated to mgid.

Either way, it seems mgid have resolved the issue as Google's safe browsing tool says it's safe now;

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=cm.mgid.com

JuanArango wrote:

(source)

It doesn't actually explain what is happening, it provides a theory. I wasn't accusing tvmaze of delivering malware. The quoted part I posted clearly stated it was the Mgid ad-network that was the cause. Now, ad-networks have been known to deliver malware on numerous occasions. I think it's far more likely that they were blacklisted by google for a short time than my machine was compromised showing only this single error.

gazza911 wrote:
Mgid is one of the ad networks displayed on TVmaze (at the bottom of pages, the other being Revcontent) - Chrome is saying either the adverts, or the content the ads link to at some point have contained malware.

The link Jan posted is unrelated to mgid.

Either way, it seems mgid have resolved the issue as Google's safe browsing tool says it's safe now;

https://transparencyreport.google.com/safe-browsing/search?url=cm.mgid.com

That's a pretty helpful link for future Chrome blockages. Thanks. I wish it contained a history though.

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

MadsM wrote:
It doesn't actually explain what is happening, it provides a theory. I wasn't accusing tvmaze of delivering malware. The quoted part I posted clearly stated it was the Mgid ad-network that was the cause. Now, ad-networks have been known to deliver malware on numerous occasions. I think it's far more likely that they were blacklisted by google for a short time than my machine was compromised showing only this single error.

It's alright, we're not taking it personally and want more clarity as well on what's going on. If a network is causing issues we'll get in contact with them to get things resolved.

Try 30 days of free premium.