Try 30 days of free premium.

Search inconsistency

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Asian names (Korean in particular) are very hard to look for, considering the number of the way the name could be written in Latin alphabet.

When you adding a cast, you see a lot of options that could be (or not) the actor you look for. For example https://i.imgur.com/zpgMkdu.png

However, when you trying to do the site search, to look who are those suggested actors, you get zilch https://www.tvmaze.com/search?q=Park+Ju+Hyun.

Kind of weird, one search gives you a lot of options, and the other gives you not a single one.

Jan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Hi Tnt,

Agreed that we can put some more work into it, provide a bit more details.. to make it clearer.

There is a case open for it to improve the search that has been open for some time.
We plan on improving this.

cheers,

Jan

More detail you mean more examples or just more detailed explanation?

Basically the confusion is because the search results from the "Person" box in cast/crew, and the search results from the main TVmaze search are different for the same name.
In my example above searching for "Park Ju Hyun" returned 5 results on the "Add cast" page, but I didn't get the same results when using site-wide search. So if I need to look at the actors, suggested by the "Person" search, I'd have to manually search for each name.

I meant. Yes we can make it so that the results provide more details in order to make it clear who is who. And also that search results are better aligned.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

In case of Korean names, our system is completely fucked up if we want to add a cast as it is very hard to differentiate certain actors from each other as there may be several actors with the exact same name. A very tedious process to determine which one is yours to select. Also the search does not give priority often with Korean names to the exact match. Take for example ''Park Hyun Joo'' when you want to add him to cast.... The first two options for me are two actors with the name Park Joo Hyun instead of the third one, which is an exact match.

Jan wrote:
I meant. Yes we can make it so that the results provide more details in order to make it clear who is who. And also that search results are better aligned.

LOL, you've meant you can provide more details :D
I read it as you need more details from me :)

Could you maybe draw a quick mockup of how that could be, when you have spare time? I mean what additional details could fit in the small results box on the "add cast" page? AKA, birthdate, small image?
Also, maybe there's a way to prioritize the exact matches, considering the order of the words? E.g. when looking for James Dean, the first result would be James Dean, not Dean James. Which would help with the problem Thomas described.

tnt wrote:
LOL, you've meant you can provide more details :D
I read it as you need more details from me :)

Could you maybe draw a quick mockup of how that could be, when you have spare time? I mean what additional details could fit in the small results box on the "add cast" page? AKA, birthdate, small image?
Also, maybe there's a way to prioritize the exact matches, considering the order of the words? E.g. when looking for James Dean, the first result would be James Dean, not Dean James. Which would help with the problem Thomas described.

Well, whatever you thought I wrote is on you. My sentence still looks clear to me based on the context. :)

And yes, something like image & birthdate to be included.

Also yes, that's what we have here in the logged case already. Pending for improvement.

Try 30 days of free premium.