Try 30 days of free premium.

This Way Up - Opinions needed

Rickiesgal wrote 4 years ago: 1

So I just watched the first episode of this new series and I started adding in main cast as per the credits but then I just stopped because the credits just don't match common sense. I added screenshots just as they appear. But having watched it, most of the cast listed should be guest starring at best. Problem is I can't tell from the order of the credits who is main cast and who is not. There is no header before either page to distinguish anyone. I can't find any press release that makes a distinction past Aisling Bea & Sharon Horgan, who are definitely the two leads. I would have thought maybe the first page was main cast and second page guest stars but it just doesn't appear to be so judging from the episode. So what do I do? Any thoughts?

https://www.channel4.com/press/news/first-look-image-and-casting-announced-c4s-aisling-bea-comedy-way

https://www.standard.co.uk/stayingin/tvfilm/when-is-this-way-up-on-tv-cast-plot-and-everything-you-need-to-know-about-aisling-beas-new-comedy-a4208996.html

And while we're at it i came across the following tidbit: This Way Up starts on 8 August at 10pm on Channel 4. The entire series will be available to stream on All 4 after the first episode, with the show continuing weekly on Channel 4.

So does that mean we change the epsiode airdates here to match the streaming as that comes out first?

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

It is very common for UK shows to list an actor as main for one single episode, while listing them as guest for others. Our policy says that all actors in the opening theme on UK shows are considered main even if it doesn't make sense.

And it seems indeed we should be using all4 dates for this.

yeah but these are both closing themes. there are no credits over or after the opening. That's where I started second guessing myself.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Considering main/guests: since on-screen data doesn't give you a clear picture, per policy you could refer to the next best source, which would be C4 press release you've mentioned :) Since it says "Channel 4 today announces cast", you could use it to determine who is considered show's cast, and add the rest as guests.
As for airdates – yes, if entire series were made available on All 4 yesterday, the show's source should be changed to All 4, with corresponding adjustment of airdates.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

tnt wrote:
Considering main/guests: since on-screen data doesn't give you a clear picture, per policy you could refer to the next best source, which would be C4 press release you've mentioned :) Since it says "Channel 4 today announces cast", you could use it to determine who is considered show's cast, and add the rest as guests.
As for airdates – yes, if entire series were made available on All 4 yesterday, the show's source should be changed to All 4, with corresponding adjustment of airdates.

The problem with UK shows is when they announce cast, it's usually the cast for the whole series from episode 1-x, not a main and guest cast. And the majority of on screen credits are just an in order of appearance batch of names with no distinction. For example, BBC said Andrew Scott joined the cast of Fleabag for season 2 along with multiple others as "principal cast", yet only Phoebe-Waller Bridge is listed here as starring despite on screen it said written and starring PWB on first screen then with Olivia Colman and Andrew Scott on 2nd, then everybody else came along after that.

FWIW, only Aislin Bea and Sharon Horgan are mentioned on the show's description, and have cast interviews on the press page. I haven't seen it, but it almost feels like they're trying to separate them out and those are the main cast, or maybe even just Aislin Bea due to to about part saying "Aisling Bea plays Aine, a whip-smart teacher trying to pull her life back together" with no mention or Sharon Horgan.

None of it feels right to me. I think I'll screenshot the other credits as I watch the episodes and then try to make sense of the casting after I've reviewed all the episodes. Unless there are any objections.

tnt wrote 4 years ago: 1

Maybe this will make more sense?

This Way Up is a Merman-produced series written by and starring Aisling Bea. Sharon Horgan, Tobias Menzies, Aasif Mandvi and Indira Varma round out the cast.

From C4 press site https://i.imgur.com/0hJ3nol.png

Try 30 days of free premium.