Try 30 days of free premium.

Show Reviews

Raven_Sirius wrote 4 years ago: 3

Often I have seen a show on the initial show list/front page, clicked on it to see what it was, then had to go somewhere else like IMDB or TVDB. As TvMaze is a moderated user input site would it not be much more valuable to Silver and Gold members to have all the info of a show on hand, rather than running around to find out. Also if a show has votes it can weight the decision to follow and watch that show. However the synopsis and genre are not always a clear indication of the show.

What I am suggesting is an option when voting on a show to write a review.

On a show's front page I often scroll down in hopes of being able to read some sort of viewer reviews even though I know it won't be there. There are definitely shows I have desperately wanted to say something about. But it's just not there.

It is perfectly reasonable to set some rules for reviewing a show, to keep the reviews useful, to avoid trolling and keep the potential number of reviews manageable for each show. For Instance: 1. Only current paid users who have voted on the show are allowed to review.  2. Reviews must be between 150 and 400 words. 3. Reviews may not contain spoilers -OR- A tagline at the top of the review must be included to indicate spoilers (Not included in word count.). 4. Reviews must be original. 5. Reviews must be pertinent to the show being reviewed (however other shows may be mentioned for comparison or performer analysis). 6. In keeping with TvMaze's family oriented policy reviews may not contain vulgarities, or liable. In keeping with the rules of free speech a show may be defamatory as long as it is pertinent to the opinion being presented of the show.

An Admin position could even be created solely for the moderation of reviews as TvMaze would need to reserve the right to reject reviews.

Not only would reviews contribute to user input, they could be a valuable insight into the shows users may be interested in, and they may help to increase the paid member base of TvMaze as a whole.

waanaabe wrote 3 years ago: 1

Hello,

I too concur that much of what is written is of no use to TV show aficionados. I saw your "rules" and agree with your logic. I. for one, would love to write reviews that satisfy those criteria, but can't seem to figure out how/where, and  have not yet uncovered how one can contact the site's runners (I've only been a member for a few hours!). I have very good writing skills, a degree in a closely related field (cinema) and abundant knowledge of my subject matter. I believe that not only would that make me a valuable asset, but an enthusiastic one, which, as you pointed out, can transpire in one's decision to watch a show or not! 

Already, I have noticed that show descriptions are sometimes written poorly, in such a way as to minimize a show. For example, "childish' descriptions of thriller genre episodes might lead one to misinterpret that show (as a whole) as unworthy of time investment by being too "light"; same goes for descriptions that give all plot twists away, for any genre. No one wants to know who dies in advance, of the answer to a question, or the punchline to a joke! We (for I presume we have similar goals), as invested and critical viewers, would not make these mistakes. Enthusiasm is great, but please leave something out for others to find out, right?

Would it be possible, if you know the answers to one or all of my questions (how to post reviews/ how one becomes a paid writer/how to contact site runners), to please let me know?

Sincerely and wishing you the best,

Good re/viewing!

-waanaabe

PS: If someone from the site reads the above, please contact me.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

Hi @waanaabe,

Every now and then we post a blog post or thread asking for new writers (usually handled by @LadyShelley).

Do note though that it is not a paid position (which you made reference to, "how one becomes a paid writer").

In terms of general show descriptions, feel free to update those, providing you stick to the data policies.

LadyShelley wrote 3 years ago: 1

I am always looking for folks interested in writing articles for the site! Show reviews, history of television, current/past trends, interviews with men and women in the industry, are all welcome. If you are interested in writing for the site (and yes, it is a volunteer position!) feel free to drop me an email at shelley@tvmaze.com with your article ideas and a writing sample. 

@gazza911 wrote:
Hi @waanaabe,

Every now and then we post a blog post or thread asking for new writers (usually handled by @LadyShelley).

Do note though that it is not a paid position (which you made reference to, "how one becomes a paid writer").

In terms of general show descriptions, feel free to update those, providing you stick to the data policies.

Thank you!

The "paid position" was in reference to another post, in which one said that there should be stricter rules for writing here, and proposed that only paid writers should write certain types of entries. I was wondering if, indeed there were such persons.

@LadyShelley wrote:
I am always looking for folks interested in writing articles for the site! Show reviews, history of television, current/past trends, interviews with men and women in the industry, are all welcome. If you are interested in writing for the site (and yes, it is a volunteer position!) feel free to drop me an email at shelley@tvmaze.com with your article ideas and a writing sample. 

Thank you! I definitely will.

Try 30 days of free premium.