Try 30 days of free premium.

Spider-Man 1967 ambiguous cast accreditation

TomSouthwell wrote 3 years ago: 1

Quick question about the Spider-Man 1967 series. For whatever reason (but something that seems typical for the time) the show credits only four actors as appearing in each episode. 

Paul Soles, Paul Kligman, Peg Dixon and Bernard Cowan.

Paul Soles plays the titular character and thus is present in every episode. Paul Kligman and Peg Dixon play J. Jonah Jameson and Betty Brant respectively, so far in watching Peg has also played additional roles alongside Betty. Paul K and Peg are also appearing in every episode so far.

Bernard plays a ton of bit parts per episode. 

It is worth noting that none of the actors are credited for the parts they play, they are just credited as 'Voices Of'. No guest stars are credited as appearing at all (so for those who are known I am adding as uncredited).

My question is how do we list Bernard's parts? I would normally when adding information to the animated Marvel series add the actor as a star with the main role they play and then for any guest/bit parts add them as a guest star for those episodes. Bernard does not play one main role, but he is been credited as a star of the show. 

The shows cast page currently looks like this and I am only five episodes into editing the guide:

https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/4107/spider-man/cast

Since I've added all Bernard's roles as starring, I've also done the same for the additional roles Peg Dixon plays alongside Betty Brant, to keep it uniform. I'm really unsure if this is the right way to be doing it, however I can't see any alternative?

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
The shows cast page currently looks like this and I am only five episodes into editing the guide:

https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/4107/spider-man/cast

Since I've added all Bernard's roles as starring, I've also done the same for the additional roles Peg Dixon plays alongside Betty Brant, to keep it uniform. I'm really unsure if this is the right way to be doing it, however I can't see any alternative?

So to clarify, they only recognise the people and not the characters?

Are the characters themselves referenced in the opening credits/title sequence at all?

@gazza911 wrote:
So to clarify, they only recognise the people and not the characters?

Are the characters themselves referenced in the opening credits/title sequence at all?

Yes they just recognise the people and not for a particular role.

Nope no reference to the names of the characters aside from the show been called 'Spider-Man'.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Yes they just recognise the people and not for a particular role.

Nope no reference to the names of the characters aside from the show been called 'Spider-Man'.

I think this should be addressed with a separate thread as it's really outside of the norm.

Technically no-one is credited for their characters on screen, but it would be stupid for example to list Paul Soles (voicing Peter Parker / Spider-Man) as uncredited guest cast when they're the main character of the show.

@gazza911 wrote:
I think this should be addressed with a separate thread as it's really outside of the norm.

Technically no-one is credited for their characters on screen, but it would be stupid for example to list Paul Soles (voicing Peter Parker / Spider-Man) as uncredited guest cast when they're the main character of the show.

Should I open a thread or wait for it to be split? 

The past episode I've just watched doesn't have Bernard make an appearance even though he is still credited as well.

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 2

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Should I open a thread or wait for it to be split? 

The past episode I've just watched doesn't have Bernard make an appearance even though he is still credited as well.

I've split it now

Bernard has now not appeared in 2 episodes, just to confuse things further :).  I've added him as credit only for these episodes.

SilverSurfer wrote 3 years ago: 1

It was a show done on the cheap. I'm sure you've noticed a lot of time is spend swinging from his webs past the same background, over and over. Same thing with the credits I believe, they did them once and slapped them on the end of every episode. But still, fond memories of a misspent youth's Saturday mornings.

@SilverSurfer wrote:
It was a show done on the cheap. I'm sure you've noticed a lot of time is spend swinging from his webs past the same background, over and over. Same thing with the credits I believe, they did them once and slapped them on the end of every episode. But still, fond memories of a misspent youth's Saturday mornings.

Oh yes, most definitely. The other animated series from that era of Marvel cartoons credited every star/guest as appearing in every single episode, even if they don't appear, so this is definitely different.

I guess a compromise could be that Spider-Man is kept as the only show star and the other roles as guest stars?

I am going to need some sort of resolution on this before I've fixed the listings on all 3 seasons of the show.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Oh yes, most definitely. The other animated series from that era of Marvel cartoons credited every star/guest as appearing in every single episode, even if they don't appear, so this is definitely different.

I guess a compromise could be that Spider-Man is kept as the only show star and the other roles as guest stars?

yes, that sounds reasonable :)

Try 30 days of free premium.