Try 30 days of free premium.

Adding site policy/guidelines where it counts

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

From other sites, I'm used to seeing hints or key points of how to do or not to do something at the point where I'm about to do it.

For example, if I am submitting screenshots it would be good to have on top basic guideline that refer to screenshots.

If I'm submitting character photos, it would be good to have paragraph relating to that.

If I'm adding credits, it would be good to have most important info/guide about that.

And so on.

Here, it is always a link to policy that can be pretty large and even if you read it, because you're reading too big of a portion, chances are you won't remember it all.
So, while it's a good to have a link to broadened info and full policy on top, it would be good to have clearly visible (in red frame if necessary) some key things that should or shouldn't be done.

For example, if you're uploading something under gallery, then instead of seeing just this...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please carefully read our <a href="https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/14/show-extras">Show Extras Policy</a> before making any edits.<br/>

If you're unsure or if you want to make any large changes, please open a thread on our <a href="/forums/7/data">data forums</a> first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...it would be great if you would see this part from it...

The show gallery can be used to upload various images for the Show. Show images can have various types:

Poster: Also known as "portrait"; an image that is tall and not very wide.
Banner: Also known as "landscape"; an image that is wide and not very tall.
Background: Images that can be used as a fullscreen background for media screens.
Typography: Images of a tv show logo/iconography/typography

Only Poster images can be used as main image; the image that's used as the identifying image on the show's main page. Main Images will be cut and resized to fit the dimensions of a Poster image, so make sure any images you add as Poster are actually suitable for that format. Banner images are not used in a specific way on TVmaze, but adding this classification can be useful to other (API) clients using our data.

Any number of images can be added to the show's gallery, but since only the show's main image is prominently used, adding more than around 10 images is not very fruitful.

Please upload images in the highest available resolution. The site will automatically generate thumbnails in various smaller sizes; and the higher the source resolution the better quality they'll be.

Basically, the upload wizard helps you with what you're doing when you're doing it. You can just glance at it and verify you're doing things right or need to fix something. Plus it's more visible. And, you gotta think that users are willing to submit stuff for the shows they like, but nobody is willing to go and read policy first. Not until they become more serious contributors. Sort of how you have "policy" to read and agree on before playing some game, but nobody ever reads it and just scrolls down and clicks accepts and plays the game.

So, it is good to have link to full policy. But key guidelines relating to something user is doing or is about to do (editing or uploading new thing) should be visible on that page. When I say "should", I mean, it would help everyone and might even reduce number of bad uploads that may need fixing later on.

If guideline for some particular section is a bit lengthy, it could be toggle-able to show first few lines or display and hide/shrink the rest.

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 1

I'm not sure it's a good idea to occupy half of the screen with text, but adding the links to relevant guidelines is a must.

Also, the policy could (and should) be more structured and interconnected. Something like the API Documentation comes to mind. Now it's all a bit chaotic and not easy to use.

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
I'm not sure it's a good idea to occupy half of the screen with text

Yes, this wouldn't look good indeed. But it could be something that toggles it on and shows the otherwise hidden or partially visible small portion on screen, and if you click "show all" or "show more" then it shows full section. But it should still only show section pertaining to the upload in question. No need showing how to add shows if you're uploading a character portrait for example. It's good to have link to full policy that opens new window or new tab, but otherwise, basic necessity should be visible on the same screen/page without having to go back and forth between pages, imho.

Try 30 days of free premium.