Try 30 days of free premium.

akas with null country

danhi wrote a year ago: 1

I'm trying to get the English title for a show (Ace Attorney) where the default language is Japanese.  I get the akas, and one of them is the one I want, but what is returned has several entries with a null country tag, one of which is the one that I want.  What does null country imply, and is there any way to determine which if these is the true English version?  What I get returned from akas is:

[{"name":"Gyakuten Saiban: Sono Shinjitsu, Igi Ari!","country":{"name":"Japan","code":"JP","timezone":"Asia/Tokyo"}},{"name":"Turnabout Trial","country":null},{"name":"Ace Attorney","country":null},{"name":"Gyakuten Saiban: Sono \"Shinjitsu,\" Igiari!","country":{"name":"Japan","code":"JP","timezone":"Asia/Tokyo"}},{"name":"Turnabout Trial: I Object to That 'Truth'!","country":null},{"name":"Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney","country":{"name":"United States","code":"US","timezone":"America/New_York"}}]

david wrote a year ago: 1

Quoting the data policy:

An AKA can either refer to the Show's original country, or it can indicate an alias in a specific foreign country. In the first case, the country property should be left blank; in the second case the country property should be set to the country the AKA applies to.

danhi wrote a year ago: 1

@david wrote:
Quoting the data policy:

But the default language appears to be Japanese, but the entries with a null country are all English.  Also there are three entries with null countries, one of them being the correct entry.  So, I'm still not sure how to pick.

gazza911 wrote a year ago: 1

It will also be left blank if the AKA isn't tied to a specific country, in other words just it's official English name.

We do AKAs by country, not language.

bungle wrote a year ago: 1

true, this is because lets say a foreign show shares the same english title across multiple countries, which one do you pick? the akas list would be massively long if we started adding it repeatedly for each seperate country that shares it.

Labrys wrote a year ago: 1

@bungle wrote:
true, this is because lets say a foreign show shares the same english title across multiple countries, which one do you pick? the akas list would be massively long if we started adding it repeatedly for each seperate country that shares it.

If the AKAs country just listed the country code and not the full country object it could contain a list of all applicable countries and not get too crazy big.

On a side note I think there should also be a /countries endpoint like there is for networks, shows, episodes, etc.

Try 30 days of free premium.