Try 30 days of free premium.

API throttling

jtarnvik wrote a year ago: 1

Hi,

I am writing a personal web application using your APIs. This application will only be used by me to keep track of my tv schedule and is mostly used to experiment with new web programming technics. A few days ago I noticed that I started to get SocketTimeouts while reading a lot of the APIs and also that I couldn't even access the tvmaze.com homepage. I also noticed that I could access your webpage from my phone when not connected to my wifi. 

I can only assume that I have failed spectacularly in some way in my program and have called your API way too many times. I have noticed a few 429 response codes, but didn't think my usage was that excessive, but it might have been. I assume I have a bug somewhere which makes my program call your API far too much. 

Is my assumption correct in that you have some kind of client throttling set up and in that case how long will that last? I really like your API  and would like to start to use it again, after reworking my API usage strategy off course, making sure I use your API much less frequently, and also offering my apologies...

/Regards

david wrote a year ago: 1

Hello! Can you tell me the IP address that you were using? (Feel free to leave out the last octet)

Hi,

My public IP should be [deleted]

/Regards

Thank you. I feel more than a bit embarrassed. That was a teeny bit more than I had planned. I will make sure that it doesn't happen again. I hade noticed your rate limiting guidelines, but we can both agree that my solution implementing that was a little less than perfect. 

Regards

david wrote a year ago: 2

No worries. Best of luck!

Try 30 days of free premium.