Try 30 days of free premium.

Shows missing in UK Countdown

Labyrinth wrote 6 months ago: 1

Hi,

I've been looking for a site that shows TV premieres of new and returning shows when they first air in the UK. Lots of sites showing "best shows" but it is very hard to find a simple list of every episode 1 being shown.

TV Maze seems to have the best list via the Countdown (country=UK) page.

However, by comparing the data from other sites, there are some shows missing.

The common issue appears to be that TV Maze does not list shows that have already premiered somewhere else.

For example, Rick and Morty S7 starts on the E4 channel in the UK this Tuesday. The show originally aired on Adult Swim in the US first so it is not listed on the UK Countdown page. Looking at the full API schedule data R&M is not listed on E4 at all so this may be the issue. I have noticed other non-UK TV shows though are also missing in action.

A similar issue occurs if a UK show first aired on a streaming service the day prior to the traditional broadcast. For example, last week Ghosts was listed as premiering on Thursday on iPlayer (BBC's streaming service). On Friday (the day of the broadcast premiere on the BBC One channel), Ghosts was no longer listed (due to the BBC One showing not being the very first showing).

This leaves non-US and non-streaming UK TV viewers with an incomplete countdown list

The Ghosts show page here lists both worldwide and broadcast dates (but only worldwide dates appear to be used in countdown)

The R&M show page here lists both worldwide and UK country premiere (but only worldwide dates appear to be used in countdown)

momijigari wrote 6 months ago: 1

It's not a bug, it's a feature.

Only the actual (first) premiere is listed, regardless if a user is from US, UK, or...... from any other country in the world.

(For more specifc information, read the TVMaze Data Policies)

For localized data, please check your local TV-provider or TV-guide.

Aidan wrote 6 months ago: 1

You can get the country premieres listed on the Calendar and Schedule (premium feature), I'm not sure about the countdown list, though

@david ?

gazza911 wrote 6 months ago: 1

This also assumes that an alternate list (country premiere) has been added. It's a semi-manual process which someone needs to do for each show. 

Try 30 days of free premium.