Try 30 days of free premium.

Computer (PC) & Internet Talk

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

I know I have not said this anywhere on the site so I thought it might be important for me to pass this along? I am 64 years old and even though I have been using a PC and the Internet since 1999 I am still very green. In other words there are tons of things I do not know or understand what they are or how they work. Basically I am Computer illiterate! Here are some examples of what I mean:

HTLM - I think those are the correct initials an order? - No clue how to use this

Tags - What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a Tag?

# - What is this used for?

Photoshop - No clue how to use that.

weblinks - Excuse me but what the heck is this?

API - What?

RSS - What?

That is just a short list of what I can remember just off the top.

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

- HyperText Markup Language, commonly referred to as HTML, is the standard markup language used to create web pages. It is written in the form of HTML elements consisting of tags enclosed in angle brackets

- In information systems, a tag is a non-hierarchical keyword or term assigned to a piece of information (such as an Internet bookmark, digital image, or computer file). This kind of metadata helps describe an item and allows it to be found again by browsing or searching. Tags are generally chosen informally and personally by the item's creator or by its viewer, depending on the system.

Tagging was popularized by websites associated with Web 2.0 and is an important feature of many Web 2.0 services. It is now also part of some desktop software.

- # is a name for the symbol #, which is used for a variety of purposes, including (mainly in Canada and the United States) the designation of a number (for example, "#1" stands for "number one"). In recent years, it has been used for "hashtagging" on social media websites

- Photoshop could be done with programs like Photoshop CS, Adobe Photoshop, even with programs like Paint

- A weblink is a document of type "reference". It has no template, thus no TVs. It simply serves as a link that will be part of a generated menu. The content of the weblink is just an URL

- API, an abbreviation of application program interface, is a set of routines, protocols, and tools for building software applications. The APIspecifies how software components should interact and APIs are used when programming graphical user interface (GUI) components

- RSS (Rich Site Summary); originally RDF Site Summary; often called Really Simple Syndication, uses a family of standard web feed formats to publish frequently updated information: blog entries, news headlines, audio, video. An RSS document (called "feed", "web feed", or "channel") includes full or summarized text, and metadata, like publishing date and author's name.

You might even try to find ur information on Google, Google tells you all haha

I appreciate your response however even some of the words and phrases you used went way over my head. I really didn't want to have things explained I just wanted you all know what I am or am not working with! I have done searches before using GOOGLE & Wikipedia and they all use words and phases that mean nothing to me. They present there information like they are talking to an Expert not an IDIOT like me, it makes me feel like I am being talked down to! Maybe there should be a website for DUMMIES?

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

If there are still any specific parts of the site you are confused about, post a link and we'll explain it. :)

Thank you very much, Sir! You may have alreadly noticed I have POSTED Tons in the last 24 hours.

1. I am very confused as to why someone decided to have people added to shows by their character name instead of just their real TV names. This causes a lot of confusion when you look at the list because the site does not understand and differentiate the name changes. In other words some pepole end up on a show many different times but they should only show 1 time, lot of space wasted for no reason.

Example: Emergency has this person on it Robert Fuller now he only appears on the show three times but some shows have people appearing so here is his charaters according to the system - as Kelly Brackett (This one should be the only one) but - as M.D. and also F.A.C.S. now please tell me why this looks good to have it this way please?

http://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1470/emergency/cast

I'm not trying to find fault or nit pick I'm only trying to help improve the site mind you!

2. I also do not see the importance of Characters having their own separate profile page because the search function will not find anyone with a character name as I just tried it on - Kelly Brackett

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

I am trying to explain this a bit more,

we think it is very nice for the user to have a difference between an actor and the character he plays in a certain show. So we decided to distinguish those two things.

If you look at the main page of a show, you will see the character pic (if there is one available). The picture will display exactly how the actor looks in that show (the character he plays)

If you want to see the default actor picture, you just have to click on the actors name.

This way users get a much nicer feel about a show. When they look at the show page they immediately see how their favorite characters looks like.

For example Gillian Anderson looks far different in X-files than she looks in The Fall.

I agree with the show Emergency, there it is a bit confusing, but if you look at Orphan Black again, it makes perfectly sense.

And alot of people visit the character pages, so they are very useful for us.

hope that helped :)

cheers

Juan

Indeed. I'm not familiar with the show Emergency, so it may in fact not be listed correctly there. But there are very valid cases where the same actor plays multiple very different characters on the same show, such as in Orphan Black, or a show like South Park where one actor voices many different characters. In those cases, it's very useful to have individual character profiles, so that we can give them an individual picture/biography, and that we can track their appearances individually.

Also, you can search for characters, but right now only within a show. For example: http://www.tvmaze.com/search/characters?show_id=82...

I understand all that about the photos Juan that was not my point. My point is 2 fold and that is why does the system show a person appear more then 1 time in any show based on their many different character names? Also it does not look good for someone to show under names that are not character names like MD & PA those are not characters they are a part of the characters name!

I have fixed the show Emergency! now :)

If you see anymore of those mistakes, please point them out and we will fix them.

cheers

Juan

I understand all that about the photos Juan that was not my point. My point is 2 fold and that is why does the system show a person appear more then 1 time in any show based on their many different character names? Also it does not look good for someone to show under names that are not character names like MD & PA those are not characters they are a part of the characters name!

Yeah, then that's simply an error in our data. Please report it when you notice cases like that! There should only be multiple entries when it concerns two completely separate characters; not if it's single character that goes by different names.

You said: not if it's single character that goes by different names.

I totally agree but if you look at some shows you will see multiple listings a lot of times for the same person and in most cases the characters they portay are also the same just "The Name is changed to Protect the Innocent", old joke!

You said: not if it's single character that goes by different names.

I totally agree but if you look at some shows you will see multiple listings a lot of times for the same person and in most cases the characters they portay are also the same just "The Name is changed to Protect the Innocent", old joke!

Yes and if we see such mistakes we will fix them :)

OK that sounds good you can start on Emergency 1st when you have time please?

Thank you very much it looks great now so someone, me, you whoever can start a new thread maybe something like "Multiple Character Names in this show it may need correcting?"

One last thing if I might? Can we communicate directly with you or any other members by some other means other than in the Forum like may a PM section? I hate having to put all of the things I ask and talk about in the Forum because some of it would not be of interest to the entire community plus I would not be wasting all this space? If there is not one in place I assume one will be coming soon, I hope?

We don't have a private message system (yet). But don't worry about asking away in the forums; this way our answers will be a useful resource to everybody else as well. :)

One last thing if I might? Can we communicate directly with you or any other members by some other means other than in the Forum like may a PM section? I hate having to put all of the things I ask and talk about in the Forum because some of it would not be of interest to the entire community plus I would not be wasting all this space? If there is not one in place I assume one will be coming soon, I hope?

I can give you my email if you want to have it JAGUARDOG, just let me know :)

cheers

Juan

Try 30 days of free premium.