Try 30 days of free premium.

Dead or redirected websites

gazza911 wrote 8 years ago: 1

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but I've never got round to doing it...

Networks often only keep a show page (or even entire domain if it's separate) whilst the show is still airing / has products coming out / etc and not always forever, or if your looking for more information on say air dates, it may only specify the re-runs & future dates.

A solution to this is to use the internet archive (IA) to view what was on the site at different dates/times that it was crawled. I do this quite frequently to verify data (normally when people/databases disagree with each other).

My question is, for a defunct site (one that no longer loads), how does TVMaze want it entered here? Here's a few options:

1. Enter in the dead site - for historical purposes; if other people want to, they can use the IA themselves

2. Enter in a link to a snapshot of it from the IA - which is in the format: https://web.archive.org/web/date & time/website

3. If another network aired it later and has a functioning page for it, use that... though that would go against the current FAQ

4. Don't enter in any website at all

LadyShelley wrote 8 years ago: 1

I'm kinda on-board with the no website at all, honestly; the biggest reason being the sites are too ephemeral to really be useful.

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

LadyShelley wrote:
I'm kinda on-board with the no website at all, honestly; the biggest reason being the sites are too ephemeral to really be useful.

I need to sleep over it, right now out of my mind I would say no website at all....but need some time :)

Jan wrote 8 years ago: 1

Hi gazza, we'll discuss it further. It's not a bad proposal to point to the archive or a secondary page from the network itself.

Curious to know what others think of this.

cheers,

Jan

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

That's a good question!

I think I lean towards #4. Linking to a dead website (#1) isn't very user friendly. Using the internet archive (#2) is great for research purposes, but it's not a great user experience for the general public: it's pretty slow to load a site there and the result is often partly broken or incomplete. #3 would be pretty confusing, for example if that site lists their re-run airdates instead of the original premiere dates, and indeed goes against the general spirit of the FAQ.

david wrote:
That's a good question!
I think I lean towards #4.

Is that currently your opinion or will that be TVMaze's official stance on this?

If it is official, should we remove dead websites from any existing shows?

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Just my opinion right now. But unless we get wildly different opinions in this thread, I'll probably make it official soon. :)

I'm going to take it that if I come across any that are like this (of which I've seen many types ranging from 404 errors, to domain names up for sale, to domain not used by anyone) - even if accessible via archives that I don't add them?

P.S You never answered one of the questions: should we remove dead websites from any existing shows?

Try 30 days of free premium.