Try 30 days of free premium.

Character Not Picking up in Dropdown box

TomSouthwell wrote 4 years ago: 1

The fix around the character dropdown for some reason hasn't worked with Linda Nolan this morning on this episode of 'Loose Women', I tried emptying both fields and retyping but her character wouldn't come up the top so had to create another character. Can this looked into please? Thanks :)

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1474850/loose-women-22x189-12618-gail-porter-anita-rani-guest-panellist-linda-nolan

I've had no other issues with the other cast members on the show.

Same issue now with Claire King on this episode:

https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/1442839/loose-women-22x151-19418-jamie-lomas-lisa-snowdon-sammy-woodhouse-kathleen-turner-guest-panellist-claire-king

Aidan wrote 4 years ago: 1

Looks like it could be because those actresses were added to the show with multiple characters already.

david wrote 4 years ago: 1

I see what's going on, and.. I see what's going on.

Is it really appropriate though for a show to have hundreds of characters with the name "panelist"? Should they not be credited under their own name + "him/herself"?

If a person is not portraying a character role in the episode but merely being him- or herself, the "him/herself" property should be checked. If this happens, there are several options on how to name the character:

If that person is known under a specific nick-name on that show, use that as character name. For example, in "Snooki & JWoww" we would credit "Nicole Polizzi as Snooki".

If that person has a specific role in the episode, use that as character name. For example, in "The Tonight Show" we would credit "Jimmy Fallon as Host" and "Steve Higgins as Announcer". Or, in "Survivor" we could credit "Greg Buis as Pagong Tribe leader".

If that person has no particular role, simply use the person's name as character name. For example, if Nicole Kidman appears as a talk show guest, we would credit "Nicole Kidman as Nicole Kidman".

-- https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/16/episode-extras

Is "panelist" really a particular/specific role if there are hundreds of them?

@david wrote:
I see what's going on, and.. I see what's going on.

Is it really appropriate though for a show to have hundreds of characters with the name "panelist"? Should they not be credited under their own name + "him/herself"?

-- https://www.tvmaze.com/faq/16/episode-extras

Is "panelist" really a particular/specific role if there are hundreds of them?

Yes the guests on the show appear as themselves, the panelists vary each day (hence there been so many) and they are credited as such in both the credits of the show and on the shows website.

kevin87 wrote 4 years ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Yes the guests on the show appear as themselves, the panelists vary each day (hence there been so many) and they are credited as such in both the credits of the show and on the shows website.

You could argue that panelists are appearing as themselves too, especially if they vary, and it's just slightly different job title. 

@kevin87 wrote:
You could argue that panelists are appearing as themselves too, especially if they vary, and it's just slightly different job title.

This would make no sense to me, there's Panellists who've appeared more since they appeared as a panellist then what they did when they were on the show. The show has regular guest 'Panellists' who present the show with the other panellists and anchor and interview the guests who appear as themselves.

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

I understand both opinions and choices, however is it really of value to have them listed as panellist on episode level? All in all it is simply her or him acting as herself/himself like David said.

@Thomas wrote:
I understand both opinions and choices, however is it really of value to have them listed as panellist on episode level? All in all it is simply her or him acting as herself/himself like David said.

Yes some of these Panellists have been on the show since 1999 and are still on it to this day - it's pretty much the only reason they are famous today. It would make no sense to not have the panel listed at all, so users are aware of who the guests are and who the panel is for each episode. It's how the show itself presents the cast!

deleted wrote 4 years ago: 1

Considering David's response, I don't think it will be an easy and instant fix and requires some work to do (Not sure if it will be prioritized). 

I do think we could bypass your issue right now by you creating a new ''panellist'' for the same person if unable to select and ask one of the head (Gazza, Juan, Tony or me) to merge these two panellist via the sanitize tool.

david wrote 4 years ago: 1

OK, if you say there's rightfully a distinction between "as panelist" and "as him/herself" I'll take your word for it :) The search system wasn't built with hundreds of characters with a same name in mind though and that's far from trivial to change. I'll increase the limits a bit more but it won't stretch much further, so you might continue to occasionally run into this.

@david wrote:
OK, if you say there's rightfully a distinction between "as panelist" and "as him/herself" I'll take your word for it :) The search system wasn't built with hundreds of characters with a same name in mind though and that's far from trivial to change. I'll increase the limits a bit more but it won't stretch much further, so you might continue to occasionally run into this.

Thanks David :)

Try 30 days of free premium.