Try 30 days of free premium.

Add language filter to countdown

Janner wrote 4 years ago: 6

Would it be possible to add an additional filter to the countdown page to distinguish the language of the upcoming programs.

For example, I have netflix as one of my followed web channels, and the countdown includes shows in Korean and Hindu (for example).  I would like a way of filtering out all of the programs that are not in english to get a clearer picture of what is coming soon.

I know I can filter by country only, but I would need to check both UK and USA and the list would include all the network channels as well as web channels.

Countdown is one of the best features on TVMaze.  The number of premiering shows, especially Amazon or Netflix shows I would have missed if it were not for this feature...

I hope I have explained myself well enough, and apologies if this has been suggested already.  (I did have a good look first)  :)

david wrote 4 years ago: 1

That's a fair suggestion! Would have to kinda revamp the layout of the countdown page though to make room for additional filters. If you have any ideas @Jan I'll implement it :-)

Janner wrote 4 years ago: 1

I guess there isn't room alongside the other filters?  There is on my desktop, but I guess that changes on other platforms/screen resolutions.

If there isn't room there how about:

1) Putting the filter dropdowns under the TV Countdown header rather than alongside

or

2) Implementing a style similar to 'Shows' or 'People' where the dropdowns are all stacked in a column on the right.  This can be achieved by either:

(a) Reducing the column width of shows to two across instead of three shows across as it looks in non-premium (but I'm not sure how this would affect non-premium advertising that utilises this space)

(b) Changing the shape of the shows so that they are more portrait is shape to be able to squeeze three abreast.  Not sure if the new size would be big enough to get all the countdown information on though.

@david , I'm sure you and @Jan will be brainstorming this as well, but I have now included this information to show that I was already thinking about ways that this could (possibly) be implemented.

The only other problem I can see though, is that if a netflix show is in english, the language is not mentioned in the show details. It only seems to be mentioned if the show is in a non-english language show.

Either way, I agree with @david that this is a bigger 'ask' than simply adding a 'language' filter, but if it were possible, it would be a fantastic enhancement. :)

dpratt wrote 2 years ago: 2

I second this. I usually only watch English-language shows so to be able to filter to English and still see shows from other countries would be helpful.

Language also doesn't always correspond to country of origin as one might expect. For instance USA might make a spanish language show or Germany might make an English language show.

Try 30 days of free premium.