Try 30 days of free premium.

Survivor crediting

TDCT wrote 3 years ago: 1

Hi !

So on this site, Jeff Probst (the host) is credited as the only main cast while the few contestants added are credited as the guest cast. However Survivor has a title sequence crediting the contestants (footage + name), but not Jeff.

Shouldn't it be more correct to have the credited contestants as the main cast and then the host and guests (for example former contestants who appear in later seasons to give advice to the new ones without being credited) as the guest cast ?

Then I guess it the Cast appearances editing section would be heavy but it would actually be more accurate (and could differentiate the competing contestants from guest stars)...

TomSouthwell wrote 3 years ago: 1

Strange as I can't find it in the policies, but I am aware that for reality shows I was always advised that contestants appear as a guest star regardless. I think it's more to do with if a contestant only appears in one or two episodes and it's literally the only TV gig they ever do, does it really quantify as them starring in the show? 

Whereas the host and supporting cast (for example voiceovers who appear in every episode) are hired to appear across multiple seasons and are the face of the show instead. 

You should also be careful when deleting data already added on the site as I've noticed you have deleted Jeff Probst from Survivor and then readded him. I bwlueve he probably had appearances added against his old character and we will of now of lost that information. 

Aidan wrote 3 years ago: 1

Yeah reality show contestants are generally considered guests as they're there on a season basis at best, while hosts and judges and the like are more permanent.

You can have a look at how I've added contestants to The Great British Bake Off.

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Strange as I can't find it in the policies, but I am aware that for reality shows I was always advised that contestants appear as a guest star regardless. I think it's more to do with if a contestant only appears in one or two episodes and it's literally the only TV gig they ever do, does it really quantify as them starring in the show? 

Whereas the host and supporting cast (for example voiceovers who appear in every episode) are hired to appear across multiple seasons and are the face of the show instead. 

I think it does mean they're starring cause there is a title sequence (and even in some fictional shows some actors only appear in 1 episode but are still part of the main cast, The 100 for example), plus they're the real focus of the show...

I understand but it seems unaccurate to me as indeed, there are no policies...

@TomSouthwell wrote:
You should also be careful when deleting data already added on the site as I've noticed you have deleted Jeff Probst from Survivor and then readded him. I bwlueve he probably had appearances added against his old character and we will of now of lost that information. 

Oh don't worry he appears in every episode and I remember his number of appearances (574), I was just waiting for an answer to be sure on how to edit him !

@TDCT wrote:
I think it does mean they're starring cause there is a title sequence (and even in some fictional shows some actors only appear in 1 episode but are still part of the main cast, The 100 for example), plus they're the real focus of the show...

I understand but it seems unaccurate to me as indeed, there are no policies...

But again like @Aidan pointed out that would mean we'd have show stars with one appearance, which for this type of show would make no sense to me, when you'd have 100s of cast members added as stars then. It would also look odd as ideally you would want the most current contestants to appear on the front page, but instead you would find the cast members that have appeared in the most amount of episodes.

@Aidan wrote:
Yeah reality show contestants are generally considered guests as they're there on a season basis at best, while hosts and judges and the like are more permanent.

You can have a look at how I've added contestants to The Great British Bake Off.

So then we don't differentiate a competing contestant from a visitor ?

@TDCT wrote:
So then we don't differentiate a competing contestant from a visitor ?

You could very clearly mark out a Visitor as such by creating a different character name.

@TDCT wrote:
Oh don't worry he appears in every episode and I remember his number of appearances (574), I was just waiting for an answer to be sure on how to edit him !

I am worried when your incorrectly deleting correct data. I have re-added him to every episode. He shouldn't of been deleted in the first place, that's my point.

@TomSouthwell wrote:
You could very clearly mark out a Visitor as such by creating a different character name.

Oh I think I wasn't being clear : for example in Season 39, two former contestants return to give advice to the current ones, so they already appeared as contestants and now are appearing as mentors not competing, isn't it a little weird if we just credit them in the same way ? (But then it is even more weird if we credit the same person as two differenet "characters"...)

@TomSouthwell wrote:
I am worried when your incorrectly deleting correct data. I have re-added him to every episode. He shouldn't of been deleted in the first place, that's my point.

Well as we said earlier there is no policy so...

@TDCT wrote:
Well as we said earlier there is no policy so...

There is a definitely a policy regarding deleting correct data for no reason.

@TDCT wrote:
Oh I think I wasn't being clear : for example in Season 39, two former contestants return to give advice to the current ones, so they already appeared as contestants and now are appearing as mentors not competing, isn't it a little weird if we just credit them in the same way ? (But then it is even more weird if we credit the same person as two differenet "characters"...)

If they are appearing in two different capacities, nothing weird with that at all. Have you read any of the data policies on the site at all? This is normal for every show on the site.

@TomSouthwell wrote:
There is a definitely a policy regarding deleting correct data for no reason.

If they are appearing in two different capacities, nothing weird with that at all. Have you read any of the data policies on the site at all? This is normal for every show on the site.

"I can't find it in the policies"

It appears we actually don't know what is correct, that is what I was saying.

Well except one time they're credited, and the other time they're not, but I don't think we're getting anywhere. I think it would be a good idea to establish a rule (obviously by an admin).

Have a good day !

@TDCT wrote:
"I can't find it in the policies"

It appears we actually don't know what is correct, that is what I was saying.

Well except one time they're credited, and the other time they're not, but I don't think we're getting anywhere. I think it would be a good idea to establish a rule (obviously by an admin).

Have a good day !

@JuanArango @tnt @Thomas @gazza911 can you weigh in please/create a policy, thanks :)

gazza911 wrote 3 years ago: 1

There's a standard as Aidan has said, that hosts are considered main cast (unless the show explicitly has guest hosts) and contestants are considered guest cast (they're essentially re-occurring guest role, where their continued appearance is uncertain).

I think the best way to handle the rest is to ensure that anyone who's a mentor is added as main cast for that season.

For example, Sandra Diaz-Twine & "Boston" Rob Mariano are explicitly referred to as a Mentor on the website for season 39. Any previous seasons in which they appeared in, would still be guest cast (and a separate character, which is according to policy).

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 1

@gazza911 wrote:
There's a standard as Aidan has said, that hosts are considered main cast (unless the show explicitly has guest hosts) and contestants are considered guest cast (they're essentially re-occurring guest role, where their continued appearance is uncertain).

I think the best way to handle the rest is to ensure that anyone who's a mentor is added as main cast for that season.

For example, Sandra Diaz-Twine & "Boston" Rob Mariano are explicitly referred to as a Mentor on the website for season 39. Any previous seasons in which they appeared in, would still be guest cast (and a separate character, which is according to policy).

Agreed.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@gazza911 wrote:

+1

Aidan wrote 3 years ago: 1

It's also worth noting that reality shows mostly list their main cast in the end-credits and not in the title sequence.

Try 30 days of free premium.