Try 30 days of free premium.

EpisodeOrder for seasons

Ken62465 wrote 3 years ago: 1

Curious what the update policy would be for episodeOrder in respect to seasons endpoint?  Reason I'm asking is I've seen some discrepancies with it and wondering if perhaps that keys intent may be different than I envision.  For example....

Billions(id=3606):
there's 5 seasons and season5 there are only 7 aired episodes yet episodeOrder=12?  There's even an "endDate=2020-06-14" for this season that corresponds with episode 7's aired date so wouldn't that be the last aired episode when the season ended?.  Sorry I just have to have it in my head that episodeOrder there should be 7. Is this data wrong or was their intended to be 12 aired episodes and that what episodeOrder really is?

Station 19(id=34577)
Season4 is still airing yet episodeOrder has a null value.  Is this only updated upon the season ending?

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit(id=103)
Season22 is still airing with 12 total episodes scheduled yet episodeOrder has null value.  There's even Season23 and 24 listed returned in the endpoint I'm aware of these scheduled, maybe they are and just not turning up anywhere I've searched.

Hope I listed this properly.

Aidan wrote 3 years ago: 1

Billions did get a 12 episode order for season 5 but they had to stop filming because of Covid-19. Until they release more information we can only assume they will finish the remaining 5 episodes.

For Station 19 there's no official episode order, so we don't know how many episodes there will be in this season.

The same goes for Law & Order SVU. For the additional seasons I'm just assuming it got a multi season renewal.

LadyShelley wrote 3 years ago: 1

I can confirm Law & Order SVU has already been renewed for the 21-2022 and the 22-2023 seasons. The same is true for Chicago Fire. Med, and PD if you're seeing the same endpoint strangeness there.

Appreciate the response!  Ahh the light-bulb just went off...lol.  I was trying to treat episodeOrder as if it was more an aired_episodes count for the season.  I even kept scratching my head saying "Order"?  The moment Aidan said, "Billions did get a 12 episode order for season 5"...it hit me.  So that's actually a count of how many episodes are scheduled to be aired/produced for the given season.  Actually I wish the aired_episodes count was available at the season level, any chance that might be considered for inclusion?  Actually using episodeOrder in that fashion, as I was doing, would work for completed seasons, just not still airing cases and was why my meta wasn't making sense.  Might be best I iterate through the episode list to achieve the count....bummer..lol
Sorry about my misconception on that key, now it sounds so foolish when I say it.

Curious why would a show like Stargate: Atlantis have all null values for episodeOrder for all 5 seasons when this show has ended?

http://api.tvmaze.com/shows/206/seasons

I'll be honest here in that I'm a Kodi dev and due to coming TVDB changes for the end of March many of us are seeking a new api, and I'm sure it's known what I mean of those coming changes.  This is one reason I asked if tvmaze may consider adding aired_episodes at the season level but I've not had a response on the question.  Perhaps tvmaze may not desire the added bandwidth consumption Kodi devs would bring?  Not sure on tvmaze's position on the matter but figured I'd be frank about it and see.

bungle wrote 3 years ago: 2

@Ken62465 wrote:
Curious why would a show like Stargate: Atlantis have all null values for episodeOrder for all 5 seasons when this show has ended?

updated the show. thanks

david wrote 3 years ago: 1

@Ken62465 wrote:

http://api.tvmaze.com/shows/206/seasons

I'll be honest here in that I'm a Kodi dev and due to coming TVDB changes for the end of March many of us are seeking a new api, and I'm sure it's known what I mean of those coming changes.  This is one reason I asked if tvmaze may consider adding aired_episodes at the season level but I've not had a response on the question.  Perhaps tvmaze may not desire the added bandwidth consumption Kodi devs would bring?  Not sure on tvmaze's position on the matter but figured I'd be frank about it and see.

As for the bandwidth: bring it on! :-)

As for the "episode order": this is really just a property on the season level that would have to be entered manually. Quoting the policy:

The amount of episodes that was ordered for this season. This should only be filled when a network explicitly announces the episode order before the start of the season. For season that have already aired, one can simply look at the season's episode list and this information will be redundant.

For seasons in the past there's really no value in doing so, so in particular for seasons that aired before TVmaze existed it'll mostly be empty. If you want to know the amount of episodes in a season, what's wrong with simply counting the amount of items in the http://api.tvmaze.com/seasons/850/episodes response?

Try 30 days of free premium.