Try 30 days of free premium.

Question about cast appearance when they don't talk in animated series

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

In cartoons and other animated series, the (voice)actor only technically appear if he speaks. But some of the main character may appear throughout the episode without saying anything in that particular episode.

If this were a live action, then we would credit the character because voicing isn't important since the actor does appear.

But what is the case about animated series? Would it be alright to mark certain main character under "cast appearance" for an episode where the character appeared but didn't say anything? I would like to add it because character appears even if its voice-actor (aka cast) does not. What is the rule on this?

Here are some concrete examples... let's say He-Man is unconscious or injured throughout episode and appears in it while his friends try to save his life. But he doesn't speak in that episode. Or, he fights while riding his Battle Cat throughout the episode but his Battle Cat doesn't talk or roar in that particular episode. Would it still be alright to add them under "cast appearance"?

This is tricky because that would qualify them under "character appearance" technically but not under "cast appearance". Of course, if there is a life action show where we have Japanese and English main cast (where JP is main and EN is dubbed) in a live action episode where main cast does not speak we would still have english main cast actor listed but no longer need for dubbed one sine he would neither physically nor by voice appear.

I hope you have some rule about this and this isn't something to just decide on case-by-case basis. Thank you.

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
In cartoons and other animated series, the (voice)actor only technically appear if he speaks. But some of the main character may appear throughout the episode without saying anything in that particular episode.

If this were a live action, then we would credit the character because voicing isn't important since the actor does appear.

But what is the case about animated series? Would it be alright to mark certain main character under "cast appearance" for an episode where the character appeared but didn't say anything? I would like to add it because character appears even if its voice-actor (aka cast) does not. What is the rule on this?

If the actor was not involved in the episode production, he should not be credited in this episode.

This is tricky because that would qualify them under "character appearance" technically but not under "cast appearance". Of course, if there is a life action show where we have Japanese and English main cast (where JP is main and EN is dubbed) in a live action episode where main cast does not speak we would still have english main cast actor listed but no longer need for dubbed one sine he would neither physically nor by voice appear.

I'm not sure we should list dub actors at all.

@tnt wrote:
I'm not sure we should list dub actors at all.

I too thought so. I've recently stumbled on anime which had (E) and (J) main cast so I thought that maybe that's how we accept it. It should only be original language cast, right? If anime is Japanese, then Japanese cast only, if it's US then US cast only, etc., right?

@MAT13 wrote:
I too thought so. I've recently stumbled on anime which had (E) and (J) main cast so I thought that maybe that's how we accept it. It should only be original language cast, right? If anime is Japanese, then Japanese cast only, if it's US then US cast only, etc., right?

Yes, exactly.

What show are you talking about?

@tnt wrote:
Yes, exactly.

What show are you talking about?

I am sorry, I cannot remember exactly which show I was looking at otherwise I would mention the title. It was an anime and it had main cast listed with (J) after Japanese case and (E) for English cast. It was a Japanese anime so English cast were the dubbed ones. Maybe it'll come to me, but if I run into such things in the future I'll mention it in the forum so the dubbed can be removed.

@MAT13 wrote:
I am sorry, I cannot remember exactly which show I was looking at otherwise I would mention the title. It was an anime and it had main cast listed with (J) after Japanese case and (E) for English cast. It was a Japanese anime so English cast were the dubbed ones. Maybe it'll come to me, but if I run into such things in the future I'll mention it in the forum so the dubbed can be removed.

Try 30 days of free premium.