Try 30 days of free premium.

Need help creating a Network

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

How do we handle network that changes name over time? I don't see option where we could add AKA to a Network name or mark it from year-span when the name was active.

Do we add new network whenever the name is officially changed or just always use the latest/current name of the network as main one and mention all other it network's description?

Another problem is that some network may change country as well, so not sure how to handle that either.

Here's a concrete example of what I want to add, but dunno how to go about it...

- I want to add a new show from 1987-1991 that was one of the most popular if not the most popular in its age in the country.

- The problem is that it aired in Yugoslavia, and we don't have that option as a country so the country should be added as well.

- I want to add network that aired it which is RTB (Radio Televizija Beograd) or in English "Radio Television Belgrade".
The problem here is that RTB has history of changed names - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Television_of_Serbia
Furthermore, we seem to have RTS1 which is original TB (Television Belgrade) which was part of RTB.
Technically I could use RTS1 to represent old RTB since it evolved into that by now, but is that the right approach?
Also, it would be incorrect to use its current country which is Serbia to represent older shows while there was Yugoslavia.

This isn't the only country that should be used for shows in regions of Croatia, Serbia, etc. that aired between 1945 and 1992.
Other countries that no longer exist too aired many TV shows.
For example: U.S.S.R. (1922-1991), Czechoslovakia (1945-1992), or East Germany (1949-1990).

So, how are we to handle shows from those eras when countries were different in size and name, and how do we handle old networks that changed names or countries. Thanks. Any hints on how to go about adding the above mentioned TV show are most welcome :)

tnt wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
How do we handle network that changes name over time? I don't see option where we could add AKA to a Network name or mark it from year-span when the name was active.

No AKA for networks. At least not yet.

always use the latest/current name of the network as main one and mention all other it network's description?

^^^this

Another problem is that some network may change country as well, so not sure how to handle that either.

Add a new network with a new country. Leave all shows before the country changed on the old network and add new shows to the new network.

Here's a concrete example of what I want to add, but dunno how to go about it...

- I want to add a new show from 1987-1991 that was one of the most popular if not the most popular in its age in the country.

- The problem is that it aired in Yugoslavia, and we don't have that option as a country so the country should be added as well.

Not possible. The list of countries is provided externally, there's no ISO entry for Yugoslavia or USSR or other obsolete countries. We can add the network based on which part of the country it was located before the split. So if it's a station that was based in Belgrade, add it to Serbia. We have, for example, ЦТ СССР, a network from the USSR, which is added to Russia and supposed to host the old shows. Use it as an example.

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

@tnt wrote:
No AKA for networks. At least not yet.

^^^this

Add a new network with a new country. Leave all shows before the country changed on the old network and add new shows to the new network.

Not possible. The list of countries is provided externally, there's no ISO entry for Yugoslavia or USSR or other obsolete countries. We can add the network based on which part of the country it was located before the split. So if it's a station that was based in Belgrade, add it to Serbia. We have, for example, ЦТ СССР, a network from the USSR, which is added to Russia and supposed to host the old shows. Use it as an example.

Okay, thanks.

david wrote 2 years ago: 1

Yeah, I think mentioning the previous name in the network's description is sufficient. Adding network AKA's wouldn't add a lot of value unless you could also set a show to one of those specific network AKA's. That would make our data model a lot more complicated though, which doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.

Try 30 days of free premium.