Try 30 days of free premium.

Looking for a TV show...

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

Some 15 years ago (probably around 2005 or so) I watched some sci-fi show and it was obviously for kids and played by the kids in main roles. Well, sort of like in "The 100". I have no idea of the title, but I do remember that people were sort of like in tribes, and a "powerful villain" was played by a guy who might have been in a wheelchair or had some trouble walking, I forgot. I don't think it's the US show, the accent was probably more British (doubt it was Australian).

I watched that on TV irregularly whenever I stumbled upon it, at first probably because it felt like silly bad acting, but you know when you start watching some bad acting show and it becomes good and interesting, lol. Like with some telenovelas, lol, at first watched a bit to laugh at it, and then got addicted to it, me and all the grandmas in the country. Anyway, going off topic here. If anyone is familiar with this sci-fi post-apocalyptic alien whatever show, please let me know, or perhaps if you have some general idea how to find it. If not, never mind, but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

PS: It would be cool to have a forum where people may "search for old shows", like if they want to find out some show but cannot remember much about it, only bits and pieces like me here, so other users, familiar with it might help. Again, since I am a longtime user of MobyGames.com site (which is site for games what IMDB is for movies), they have "Find a game" forum where people who can't remember the game's title but remember some pieces of what the game looked like ask others to help them find out the game in question. For games this is a common thing since we all played games 10 or 20 or 30 years ago that we don't remember title of. I wonder how common that is with TV shows. Anyway, I digress. Hope anyone can help me find out the title of the show in question.

CosmicHowl wrote 2 years ago: 3

There was a New Zealand based show in the early 2000s called The Tribe? I don't remember if there was a villain but it was definitely a post-apocalyptic world with strange clothing/face paint.

kevin87 wrote 2 years ago: 0

@CosmicHowl wrote:
There was a New Zealand based show in the early 2000s called The Tribe? I don't remember if there was a villain but it was definitely a post-apocalyptic world with strange clothing/face paint.

Could be that, it ended in 2003 and there was a guy in the last two seasons who had trouble walking and primarily used a wheelchair, but nobody was British though.

@CosmicHowl wrote:

Thanks, now that you mention it, the title does sound familiar. And yes, characters had similar outfits and colors. Yes, the accent might have been Australian, but I am from Croatia (live in Japan now) and I didn't really think the TV channel really played much of Australian contents as opposed to British. Apparently, I was wrong :P

But anyway, yes, that's the show. I just went through main cast we have on file and recognized some of the characters. Tom Hern played Ram which was the villain who couldn't walk. And I've also recognized some of the "good guys" from the show, like those dreadlock-like haired girls Ebony, Java, and Siva, and some of the guys like Jay and Pride. Have no idea which season I watched, but I know I enjoyed the over-exaggerated corny dialogues.

Thanks a lot, @CosmicHowl !! :D

@CosmicHowl wrote:
There was a New Zealand based show in the early 2000s called The Tribe

Isn't it strange that we have that New Zealand show marked under Channel 5's network which is UK-based?

kevin87 wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
Thanks, now that you mention it, the title does sound familiar. And yes, characters had similar outfits and colors. Yes, the accent might have been Australian, but I am from Croatia (live in Japan now) and I didn't really think the TV channel really played much of Australian contents as opposed to British. Apparently, I was wrong :P

But anyway, yes, that's the show. I just went through main cast we have on file and recognized some of the characters. Tom Hern played Ram which was the villain who couldn't walk. And I've also recognized some of the "good guys" from the show, like those dreadlock-like haired girls Ebony, Java, and Siva, and some of the guys like Jay and Pride. Have no idea which season I watched, but I know I enjoyed the over-exaggerated corny dialogues.

If your main memory involves Ram, Java, Siva and Jay then it seems like you are thinking of season 4, which is when they introduced and were the main villains (the "Technos"). I remember watching it when i was 11-12ish but here in the US it was on a premium cable channel which got dropped by my cable provider so I only got to watch season 1 and 2... but in 2019 they had it on Prime for a bit and I finally got to watch it all. Season 1-3 were definitely the best IMO. Though there's an episode in season 4 where Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi played uncredited VR cowboys lol Which had people saying The Tribe might have subconsciously inspired Thor Ragnarok's style. 

@MAT13 wrote:
Isn't it strange that we have that New Zealand show marked under Channel 5's network which is UK-based?

It was actually commissioned by Channel 5, just produced in New Zealand by a NZ production company and aired in the UK first. New Zealand got it roughly a year later. That could explain why the channel you mention was airing it.

@kevin87 wrote:
If your main memory involves Ram, Java, Siva and Jay then it seems like you are thinking of season 4, which is when they introduced and were the main villains (the "Technos").

Ah yes, I remember Technos, now that you mentioned it. I loved the soap opera involving the main characters, and Ram was really cool and likeable villain, kinda like Skeletor from He-Man :) I was around 20 when watching that. Thanks for the history lesson in regard to it ;)) And love Thor: Ragnarok, one of the finest from MCU imho.

CosmicHowl wrote 2 years ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:

No worries, glad you found it :) I used to watch random repeats of it on kids TV at the weekend so the story was never in order. I mainly just remember all the face painting, even the dog! 

Try 30 days of free premium.