Try 30 days of free premium.

Can I please change my username?

Lightkeeper wrote 2 years ago: 1

Hi there,

Because of my work it's kinda an issue that I contribute with data to the site. Can I change my username, please?

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 1

@Lightkeeper wrote:
Hi there,

Because of my work it's kinda an issue that I contribute with data to the site. Can I change my username, please?

@david has to check on this. :)

david wrote 2 years ago: 3

Changing a username is not possible, sorry. But if there's a problem with your username being too recognizable, you could delete your account and start from scratch with a fresh one. 

Lightkeeper wrote 2 years ago: -1

@david wrote:
Changing a username is not possible, sorry. But if there's a problem with your username being too recognizable, you could delete your account and start from scratch with a fresh one. 

What? Other people have had their user name changed? I don't want to delete my account - I have done a lot of stuff on this account that I don't want to delete. The alternative is that I cannot contribute anymore - so please help

Lightkeeper wrote 2 years ago: 2

I work as a translator - and I see tv shows before anyone else. And then I can see who's featured in an episode before anyone else. I can't disclose what company I work for or what tv show I work on - but it's really not difficult to see when I can provide information that no one else has. That's why I'm asking you to change my username.

david wrote 2 years ago: 4

No, sorry, we simply don't have the option to change your username. That's on purpose:

@david wrote:
The reason we don't allow changing your username, is that it would be highly confusing to everybody else. Each user on TVmaze accrues a specific reputation; based on their forum posts, edits, and comments. If I see a forum post, I might think "ah, that's the guy who asked about a similar topic last month so I understand the context of his question". Or a Curating Contributor might see someone's questionable edit and either think "I know this user always makes high quality edits, so this one should be fine", or.. "this user has made mistakes in editing in the past, so I'll have to check this one carefully".

If we'd allow people to randomly change their username, it would be impossible for us to account for a user's reputation when judging edits/posts/etc, and our job would be much harder.

If you really want a different username, you can always create a whole new account and use the API to migrate your follows/votes/watched episodes.

Lightkeeper wrote 2 years ago: -1

But why do you change for some and not others? I have been a member for over 4 years and have contributed to the site. These contributions would be lost. I understand what you're coming from, but you have changed for other people earlier - and this really comes down to the fact that my work doesn't allow me to contribute anymore under this name... But I can just stop contributing - it's totally okay... If that's what you're after

david wrote 2 years ago: 1

We don't allow it for anyone however, see for example https://www.tvmaze.com/threads/3565/change-username where I copied the quoted response from. Your contributions are definitely appreciated, but we don't want to make an exception exactly because then everyone would be asking for one. :-/

puffosul wrote 2 years ago: 2

@blackcat2021 wrote:
Too bad, I wanted my username to be DEJA_VU...

LOL like the cat from Matrix? :)))

Lightkeeper wrote 2 years ago: 0

Good thing you can have fun in my misery

puffosul wrote 2 years ago: 1

@Lightkeeper wrote:

Sorry @Lightkeeper I was laughing at @blackcat2021 pick (saw the new Matrix recently)

I believe no one's having fun about "your misery"...

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 3

@Lightkeeper wrote:

we do not have fun at your misery.

LouisWu wrote 2 years ago: 1

@david or @JuanArango, for our edification, maybe you can list what data is actually deleted when an account is deleted? For example, are high level contributions like new episodes or new cast deleted entirely? From a database management standpoint that is serious, complicated and could potentially drop a lot of information that came after the original updates. I would expect that most most of the public data will be anonymized, and only 'single point' entries like comments will be deleted entirely.

david wrote 2 years ago: 2

This is actually described on the "account deletion" page if you dare to click through :-)

If not:

Deleting your TVmaze account will:

- Remove your email address from our records

- Remove your password and API keys, making it impossible to log in

- Disconnect social networks from your account

- Remove your profile settings

- Hide your username from all public pages

Deleting your TVmaze account will NOT:

- Make your username available for registration again

- Purge edits that you have made

- Purge comments that you have left

- Purge forum posts that you have left

LouisWu wrote 2 years ago: 2

Thanks @david! Although I trust your skills, it seemed like an unnecessary risk to click on a menacing red button called 'Delete' :)

JuanArango wrote 2 years ago: 2

@LouisWu wrote:
Thanks @david! Although I trust your skills, it seemed like an unnecessary risk to click on a menacing red button called 'Delete' :)

:)

ras44ecs wrote 2 years ago: 1

@david wrote:
This is actually described on the "account deletion" page if you dare to click through :-)

If not:

I find this all very confusing... and I can't find the "account deletion" page. There's no link here.

Anyway, does that mean using the API I could retrieve my follows and tags for a new account somehow? What about my premium membership? How would that be transferred? 

I understand your concerns about name changes but, even the dreaded motor vehicle departments allow it! ;-)

Try 30 days of free premium.