Try 30 days of free premium.

CSS property missing from show/channel titles

wallrik wrote 2 years ago: 1

Hello everyone!

I started using this site today, and I think I love it! :D

However, one thing was apparent from the get-go... There's a missing CSS style on the show and channel titles that bothered me enough to make this post. xD

As we can read on W3Schools, in order for text-overflow to work properly, it needs "white-space: nowrap" and "overflow: hidden".

Before and after disallowing white-space wrapping.

Thanks guys!

david wrote 2 years ago: 3

I don't think it was ever the intention to truncate the show names here though :) But I'll leave this to @Jan 

wallrik wrote 2 years ago: 0

@david wrote:
I don't think it was ever the intention to truncate the show names here though :) But I'll leave this to @Jan 

I guess sometimes, when bugs have been around for long enough they grow to become features, haha.

I don't know for how long the site has had its current style, but the reason I thought it was a bug was because "text-overflow: ellipsis" and "overflow: hidden" is already declared in the code. That makes me think the intent of the designer was to indeed truncate long names.

I think that I would personally prefer to have them truncated as well, because as I'm setting up my account right now I'm browsing lots of shows and I find myself mainly looking at the poster anyway.

If it feels off, a simple solution would be to add a title HTML attribute to the links. Like so. Or a different CSS style with a :hover selector.

Anyway, I was only trying to help out with the bug report :) I don't mind if you guys decide to keep the site as is, but I'm looking forward to reading what @Jan thinks.

blackcat2021 wrote 2 years ago: 3

@wallrik wrote:
I guess sometimes, when bugs have been around for long enough they grow to become features, haha.

I don't know for how long the site has had its current style, but the reason I thought it was a bug was because "text-overflow: ellipsis" and "overflow: hidden" is already declared in the code. That makes me think the intent of the designer was to indeed truncate long names.

I think that I would personally prefer to have them truncated as well, because as I'm setting up my account right now I'm browsing lots of shows and I find myself mainly looking at the poster anyway.

If it feels off, a simple solution would be to add a title HTML attribute to the links. Like so. Or a different CSS style with a :hover selector.

Anyway, I was only trying to help out with the bug report :) I don't mind if you guys decide to keep the site as is, but I'm looking forward to reading what @Jan thinks.

Fact: @david is lazy. :) (he said it, I'm not trolling LOL)

david wrote 2 years ago: 2

@blackcat2021 wrote:
Fact: @david is lazy. :) (he said it, I'm not trolling LOL)

Can confirm.

@wallrik Your feedback is definitely appreciated :) The design is @Jan's department though, so I don't remember such details myself.

Jan wrote 2 years ago: 2

It's done on purpose like this. So not a bug :)

I understand that having the cards all the same size is esthetically pleasing but truncating will obscure info the user is looking for. On hover showing the full title will not work on mobile since the user can't hover. 

So what you're seeing is the site adapt as intended for the sake of functionality and readibility on various devices. 

With that said, we're planning on revamping the site which is already a bit overdue. So it will look better eventually.

Try 30 days of free premium.