Try 30 days of free premium.

What is the ordering of the main cast for some show?

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 1

There are some shows where all the cast is credited together and as such all are treated as main cast (more common for older cartoons).

However, when I click on "Cast" of some show, I don't see any ordering there. Nor by actor's name, nor by character's name. This can be very difficult to add new characters, especially if same actor did several roles. In order to do so, I need to go through all to see if the actor-character pair already exists and if not to add it. This would be much more helpful if actors or characters are listed alphabetically and not in a random order.

Look at this for example: https://www.tvmaze.com/shows/1898/gargoyles/cast

The cast here just looks randomly ordered. I am guessing they may be ordered as they were added. But this isn't helping anyone.

I know that guest cast characters are ordered in number of appearances in the show which makes sense. But main cast doesn't have any order and alphabetical order would really help (either by character name or by actor name).

david wrote 2 years ago: 2

Main cast is also ordered by number of appearances of their character.

MAT13 wrote 2 years ago: 3

@david wrote:
Main cast is also ordered by number of appearances of their character.

No, it isn't. At least not on episode page where main cast are listed.

Look at this episode - https://www.tvmaze.com/episodes/449826/lightning-point-1x26-flight

Notice that "Madison" is listed before "Brandon" yet she appears in smaller number of episodes. There is no order of any kind here. Nor by names, characters, or number of appearances.

But this is entirely different thing. Here ordering by number of appearances may make sense, but in place where we add/edit cast, user-friendly should be used.

For example, when you click on "Cast Appearances" there is no order, but when you go to "Manage" to select them, list of actors with checkboxes are listed alphabetically. This is great, but why isn't same logic used in other such places like when you want to add new cast/character?

Try 30 days of free premium.