Try 30 days of free premium.

EPIX is Now MGM+

TheSpoilerGirl wrote a year ago: 1

All shows under the old EPIX Web Channel need to be changed to MGM+

The change happened Yesterday, 15th January.

https://press.epix.com/launching-on-january-15-mgm-expands-premium-lineup-and-unveils-development-slate/

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@TheSpoilerGirl wrote:
All shows under the old EPIX Web Channel need to be changed to MGM+

The change happened Yesterday, 15th January.

https://press.epix.com/launching-on-january-15-mgm-expands-premium-lineup-and-unveils-development-slate/

fixed. This should of been posted in edit requests. Thanks!

suemac wrote a year ago: 1

@TheSpoilerGirl wrote:
Sorry as per the press release. EPIX is now MGM+. So all shows on EPIX should now be listed as being on MGM+.
eg FutonCritic move all the EPIX shows to MGM+ Yesterday
http://thefutoncritic.com/showatch.aspx?series=&network=mgm_plus&daycode=&statuscode=&genre=&studio=

Yes, 'From' is no different from all the other shows on MGM+.  I have a streaming subscription now at     https://www.mgmplus.com/    and my kids have MGM+ on their Roku TV - and all the shows...Billy the Kid, Godfather of Harlem, From, Condor, and so on, are all listed. The same shows are found on the Amazon Prime Video MGM+ add on channel.    I don't have linear TV so no clue about an MGM+, formerly epix channel.

MGM+ press release from Jan 10 ' 2023 has:     "MGM+, an Amazon company, is a premium linear channel  AND streaming service delivering a broad lineup of quality original series and docuseries, the latest movie releases, and classic film franchises—all available in the U.S. on  TV,  on-demand,  online,  and  across devices. MGM+ is a destination for original premium content, with original series including sci-fi horror series FROM; Emmy-winning series Godfather of Harlem; the Western adventure Billy the.....{more}....Rogue Heroes, and Belgravia. The network is also the home of acclaimed docuseries, including  {more}.  Premium movies are also available, including { }.

MGM+ will continue to be available nationwide through cable, telco, satellite, and emerging digital distribution channels, as well as through its MGM+ app, providing more movies than any other network with thousands of titles available for streaming."

They are not making any distinction between linear network and streaming channel, while we do here. Leaving 'From' the only show on epix.com the web channel. This channel was only set up on TVMaze in August 2021.  Epix, now MGM+ has been around since 2009 or so.

Chopper wrote a year ago: 2

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but I will start here:

From the data policies:

Network

The network that originally aired this show. This property can change throughout the years, when a show moves to a different network; or perhaps even to a web channel instead of a network. The value should always reflect the current (or when a show is ended, the latest) network that a show aired on. Historical information about the show's network is tracked on the season level.

I would argue that replacing EPIX with MGM+ was premature, and that MGM+ should have just been added to the list of platforms.  I would also argue that changing the name of a platform should be handled that same way that a show's moving to a new platform is handled, as stated above.

So, for a show like Godfathers of Harlem, where the name change happened between seasons, Seasons 1&2 would continue to state EPIX, Season 3 and Show record would state MGM+.  However, all shows that ended their run before the switch to MGM+ would maintain EPIX for show and all seasons.

To illustrate, let me suggest an absurd example that maybe isn't that absurd these days:

Elon Musk gets tired of Twitter, and decides to get into TV.  He buys NBC, and renames it Musk-O-Vision.  Are we to change ALL the shows that ever appeared on NBC to appearing on Musk-O-Vision?  Shows like Bonanza and Adam-12 from back in the 1960's would get changed to Musk-O-Vision?

Thoughts?

blackcat2021 wrote a year ago: 1

@Chopper in MGM+ case I would have created a new network "MGM+" and everything airing since EPIX became MGM+ treated as MGM+, of course, but the shows that aired on EPIX to remain as EPIX (with the MGM+ website link if available), but it's just me :D 

I think we did this scenario when Quibi was bought by Roku.

We've never done this unless the management of a network changes, in this instance it hasn't so the name change is correct. 

Chopper wrote a year ago: 1

@TomSouthwell May I ask for some elaboration?  I am just trying to understand...

1) From what I can gather on the internet: Epix/MGM+ is owned by MGMPlus Entertainment, which is owned by MGM.  Amazon acquired MGM and rebranded as Amazon MGM Holdings, and this is when Epix was rebranded as MGM+.  Who is management in this scenario? 

2) Why is no change in management different than any other situation where the name of a platform changes?  This brings to mind Amazon Prime Video changing to Prime Video....     I would have asked to maintain those separately, and there was clearly no change in management.

@Chopper wrote:
@TomSouthwell May I ask for some elaboration?  I am just trying to understand...

1) From what I can gather on the internet: Epix/MGM+ is owned by MGMPlus Entertainment, which is owned by MGM.  Amazon acquired MGM and rebranded as Amazon MGM Holdings, and this is when Epix was rebranded as MGM+.  Who is management in this scenario? 

2) Why is no change in management different than any other situation where the name of a platform changes?  This brings to mind Amazon Prime Video changing to Prime Video....     I would have asked to maintain those separately, and there was clearly no change in management.

1) Amazon bought a service and then rebranded. Management changed but it was a buy out. 

2) This confuses me, we only have the one web channel set up for Amazon? 

Chopper wrote a year ago: 1

@TomSouthwell wrote:
1) Amazon bought a service and then rebranded. Management changed but it was a buy out. 

2) This confuses me, we only have the one web channel set up for Amazon? 

1) We've never done this unless the management of a network changes, in this instance it hasn't so the name change is correct.  So, now that we have determined that management did change, the fact that it was a buy out is now the reason for the wholesale name change?    Why?  Why is this circumstance different from any other?  In fact, isn't this basically my Elon Musk example?  I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.  However, respectfully, I still don't understand because this decision just seems arbitrary.

2) Shows that listed the webchannel as "Amazon Prime Video" now list it as "Prime Video", from what I can tell.  I was trying to say that I would have advocated for maintaining both webchannels even though this is clearly a case where management didn't change, per the statement in 1).

3) Does the API allow for looking up network/webchannel by name or ID?

I apologize for being a pain in the neck, but I am asking these questions in good faith...

@Chopper wrote:
1) We've never done this unless the management of a network changes, in this instance it hasn't so the name change is correct.  So, now that we have determined that management did change, the fact that it was a buy out is now the reason for the wholesale name change?    Why?  Why is this circumstance different from any other?  In fact, isn't this basically my Elon Musk example?  I guess in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.  However, respectfully, I still don't understand because this decision just seems arbitrary.

2) Shows that listed the webchannel as "Amazon Prime Video" now list it as "Prime Video", from what I can tell.  I was trying to say that I would have advocated for maintaining both webchannels even though this is clearly a case where management didn't change, per the statement in 1).

3) Does the API allow for looking up network/webchannel by name or ID?

I apologize for being a pain in the neck, but I am asking these questions in good faith...

@david is the best person to ask for the API question. I think the reason we don't store every old network name is simple, the list would be never ending, we'd have users adding stuff to the wrong networks all the time. For example Amazon Prime Video instead of Prime Video. 

david wrote a year ago: 2

If every user with a subscription to EPIX now suddenly has a subscription to MGM+ and if all shows that were previously available on EPIX are now available on MGM+, that means for all intents and purposes they are the same channel and only the name changed. That means we'll do the same, rename EPIX to MGM+.

Only if they are truly separate, a new channel should be created.

Try 30 days of free premium.