Try 30 days of free premium.

Site breaks when reason for deletion is too long.

MAT13 wrote a year ago: 1

Just deleted an alternate title for some show and went to write a bit longer elaboration as to why, but got the "Oh snap!" message since my description was probably too long. When I made is shorter it went fine.

So, this is a bug in a sense that if the description/reason for deletion is limited in length, then the input box should be limited in that length, not allow for infinite length only to tell you "Oh snap, you shouldn't have written for such a long reason." ;)) You can either put a character limit to the input box or a message above it saying something like "Only 255 characters are allowed.".

Kind regards,
- MAT

blackcat2021 wrote a year ago: 2

You writing a novel or something? LOL

Just kidding. :)

@blackcat2021 wrote:
You writing a novel or something? LOL

Just kidding. :)

No, but wanted to clarify why the title was not correct (it was transliterated title from katakana title) in case someone may object later or keep doing it.

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

I wouldn't say this is a bug a short description as to why something is deleted is preferred if it was to become a bigger issue we would just message or write on the talk page of the user doing the deletion. 

@TomSouthwell wrote:
I wouldn't say this is a bug a short description as to why something is deleted is preferred if it was to become a bigger issue we would just message or write on the talk page of the user doing the deletion. 

The bug is when site allows you to submit a form but does not clarify or verify submission length of type. We can call it a "feature" if you like, though ;))

Basically, there's just some verification needed in the code. But if there are many such places on the site, then I guess this does not need addressing if it's a norm.

TomSouthwell wrote a year ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
The bug is when site allows you to submit a form but does not clarify or verify submission length of type. We can call it a "feature" if you like, though ;))

Why would you need to know how long the form is? It's not that often (I would hope) that anything needs deleting and it's very rare that the deletions are ever challenged by anyone. 

MAT13 wrote a year ago: 2

@TomSouthwell wrote:
Why would you need to know how long the form is? It's not that often (I would hope) that anything needs deleting and it's very rare that the deletions are ever challenged by anyone. 

Input box HTML element is very easy to limit. In the HTML one could add <input maxlength="10"> and that would automatically only let you enter 10 characters. Form elements should correspond to database rows. Or the "Oh snap!" message should be more explanatory like "You've exceeded number of characters allowed." since this isn't a real bug in the coder intended it to work this way.

Anyway, this is blowing out of proportion guys, my post in this forum was just to let admin know about this, and what he does about it is fine by me. Other users' comment were not really necessary as I am not challenging anything here :)

JuanArango wrote a year ago: 1

@MAT13 wrote:
Input box HTML element is very easy to limit. In the HTML one could add <input maxlength="10"> and that would automatically only let you enter 10 characters. Form elements should correspond to database rows. Or the "Oh snap!" message should be more explanatory like "You've exceeded number of characters allowed." since this isn't a real bug in the coder intended it to work this way.

Anyway, this is blowing out of proportion guys, my post in this forum was just to let admin know about this, and what he does about it is fine by me. Other users' comment were not really necessary as I am not challenging anything here :)

Let  us have a beer together :)

david wrote a year ago: 3

It definitely shouldn't oh snap at you! Will fix this :)

Try 30 days of free premium.