Try 30 days of free premium.

Are animals allowed to be added as cast members? PART 2

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

Excuse me but why was the original thread closed so soon it still needs additional discussion please? You said - Added to the policy now: Only roles portrayed or voiced by a human person are considered Characters; animal occurrences can't be added.

So based on your statement the following animals who had human voices can be added?

Mr. Ed - talking Horse on "Mr. Ed" which is already here but he is here 2 ways which one needs to be corrected I believe?

Allan Rocky Lane voices Mister Ed

Bamboo Harvester as Mister Ed

It could be that Mister Ed the Horse's real name was "Bamboo Harvester" but I'm sure our resident expert Gadfly will let us know for sure however it should not be listed 2 times!

Maybe it should read Allan Rocky Lane voices "Bamboo Harvester" as Mister Ed

So what do you say on this David please sir?

Dog with the Blog also here shows "Stephen Full as voice of Stan the Dog" but Stan was not the Dog's real name was it Gadfly? His real name is Mick so I assume it should read "Stephen Full voices "Mick" as Stan the Dog is this also not correct?

Lastly the original thread began because of this show "Punky Brewster" had a dog in the cast "Brandon the Dog" however he did not talk and therefore based on your new decree must now be removed, yes?

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

Hi Ron,

We will only credit humans for playing characters. It does not matter whether that specific character is an animal, cause he is played/voiced by a human, however if a real dog is just being credited for being a dog in that series, we will not add it.

For example;
- Person A will voice/play 'Brendan the dog' - In this case we will add it
- Brendan the dog plays 'himself/Brendan the dog' - In this case we will not add it

ThomasNL wrote:
Hi Ron,
We will only credit humans for playing characters. It does not matter whether that specific character is an animal, cause he is played/voiced by a human, however if a real dog is just being credited for being a dog in that series, we will not add it.
For example;
- Person A will voice/play 'Brendan the dog' - In this case we will add it
- Brendan the dog plays 'himself/Brendan the dog' - In this case we will not add it

Sorry but none of that makes any sense what so ever and even if it did it does not explain how the 2 here should read/look because neither is correct!

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

I'd say that Bamboo Harvester should be removed, which staff would have to do. Somebody could delete the entry under Mister Ed, but the "star" would still exist in the database. Allan Rocky Lane should not be deleted.

Nor does Mr. Lane voice Bamboo Harvester. BH is not a character on the show and to the best of my knowledge, Mr. Lane has never voiced him. I'd say the current Mr. Lane entry is correct, assuming it is marked as Voice.

Stephen Full does not voice Mick, he voices Stan the Dog. So there seems no reason to include "Mick" in the crediting of the character or the actor.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is to treat an animal with an actor-provided voice like an animated character. No one says "Kevin Conroy voices Bruce Wayne as Batman." Nor would you acknowledge the storyboard artist(s) who represented Batman in such a credit.

If I have this all correct, Brandon the Dog would also have to be removed by staff, since he would still be in the database even if deleted from Punky Brewster.

Gadfly wrote:
I'd say that Bamboo Harvester should be removed, which staff would have to do. Somebody could delete the entry under Mister Ed, but the "star" would still exist in the database. Allan Rocky Lane should not be deleted.
Nor does Mr. Lane voice Bamboo Harvester. BH is not a character on the show and to the best of my knowledge, Mr. Lane has never voiced him. I'd say the current Mr. Lane entry is correct, assuming it is marked as Voice.
Stephen Full does not voice Mick, he voices Stan the Dog. So there seems no reason to include "Mick" in the crediting of the character or the actor.
My opinion, for what it's worth, is to treat an animal with an actor-provided voice like an animated character. No one says "Kevin Conroy voices Bruce Wayne as Batman." Nor would you acknowledge the storyboard artist(s) who represented Batman in such a credit.
If I have this all correct, Brandon the Dog would also have to be removed by staff, since he would still be in the database even if deleted from Punky Brewster.

Thanks Gad!

Now I have another question because I must have missed another change in policy somewhere can you please provide me with a link to the new policy that no longer allows TC's to remove cast that do not belong? And does this also apply to cast we add ourselves by mistake we can no longer remove them either?

By the same token, you wouldn't list an actual robot as an actor. Although you would (and TVMaze does) list the actor who voices the robot as the actor.

So TVMaze lists John Leeson as the voice of K-9 on Doctor Who. But K-9 doesn't have his own entry as an "actor."

JAGUARDOG wrote:
Now I have another question because I must have missed another change in policy somewhere can you please provide me with a link to the new policy that no longer allows TC's to remove cast that do not belong? And does this also apply to cast we add ourselves by mistake we can no longer remove them either?

You can remove cast from a show. But to the best of my knowledge, TCs can't remove an actor from the database.

So you could remove Bamboo Harvester from Mister Ed. But he would still exist as an actor page on the site, and come up on searches. Just with no credits now or ever associated with him.

Presumably he should be deleted entirely from the site.

Gadfly wrote:
You can remove cast from a show. But to the best of my knowledge, TCs can't remove an actor from the database.
So you could remove Bamboo Harvester from Mister Ed. But he would still exist as an actor page on the site, and come up on searches. Just with no credits now or ever associated with him.
Presumably he should be deleted entirely from the site.

Oh thanks, sorry I totally misunderstood you 1st time I greatly appreciate that clarification. I never thought of that before and you are 100% correct that they should be totally removed from the DB great catch/comment!

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

To my best knowledge you are still able to remove cast from a series, but deleting actors have never been allowed.

So do we need to file edit requests for the ones already mentioned, or will someone on staff delete them?

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

Gadfly wrote:
So do we need to file edit requests for the ones already mentioned, or will someone on staff delete them?

You need to file edit requests :)

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Deleted the cases mentioned here. If I missed any please post in Edit Requests indeed :)

Try 30 days of free premium.