Try 30 days of free premium.

Language missing from the database

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

Please add one or both of these missing languages and I am almost 100% positive that they are both valid real languages?

Missing - Mandarin and Taiwanese

I also believe that Mandarin Chinese is also a separate language that is also missing?

"Next Stop,Happiness Autumn's Concerto" currently shows the language is Thai but that is not correct according to wikipedia.com - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn%27s_Concerto I do not know why it was added as being Thai in the first place as i cannot find any mention of Thai anywhere on the internet?

Originallanguage(s) - Mandarin, Taiwanese [Note 1]
A substantial amount of Taiwanese is spoken in the village, while Mandarin is spoken mostly in the Taipei scenes.

Note: It appears that there are a lot of languages missing from the site and if that is the case then are we expected to request a missing language be added as a new show is added that needs it via a thread in the Forum?

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

JAGUARDOG wrote:
Please add one or both of these missing languages and I am almost 100% positive that they are both valid real languages?
Missing - Mandarin and Taiwanese
I also believe that Mandarin Chinese is also a separate language that is also missing?
"Next Stop,Happiness Autumn's Concerto" currently shows the language is Thai but that is not correct according to wikipedia.com - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autumn%27s_Concerto I do not know why it was added as being Thai in the first place as i cannot find any mention of Thai anywhere on the internet?
Originallanguage(s) - Mandarin, Taiwanese [Note 1]
A substantial amount of Taiwanese is spoken in the village, while Mandarin is spoken mostly in the Taipei scenes. Note: It appears that there are a lot of languages missing from the site and if that is the case then are we expected to request a missing language be added as a new show is added that needs it via a thread in the Forum?

You are mostly correct here,

Taiwanese is missing and we got only "Chinese" here, which is no real language, Chinese is either Mandarin (mainland) or Cantoese (Hong Kong).

Let's see if david can add those or if this is a list taken from somewhere.

cheers
Juan

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

I remember I have spoken with David about this matter before, but he was unable to do so, because of a third party software he was using for them he was unable to edit. The thing is if you are going to seperate Chinese into Mandarin (China), Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) and Cantonese (Hong Kong), you could specify many more languages like 'Basque', 'Catalunyan' and specifying the difference between Spanish in Latin America and Spain itself. I think it is clear to say that if you add a show with Chinese, you just look to the tv channel it is airing on and safe to say that it will be one of those chinese languages depending on the tv channels origin..

I have changed the language from Thai (which was wrong) to Chinese (which includes Taiwanese and Mandarin).

cheers
Juan

Thomas wrote:
I remember I have spoken with David about this matter before, but he was unable to do so, because of a third party software he was using for them he was unable to edit. The thing is if you are going to seperate Chinese into Mandarin (China), Traditional Chinese (Taiwan) and Cantonese (Hong Kong), you could specify many more languages like 'Basque', 'Catalunyan' and specifying the difference between Spanish in Latin America and Spain itself. I think it is clear to say that if you add a show with Chinese, you just look to the tv channel it is airing on and safe to say that it will be one of those chinese languages depending on the tv channels origin..

I have no clue what you are saying exactly? It sounds like that you may be saying that this can't be added/corrected/fixed whatever currently because of a flaw in the program that is being used currently and a replacement is not currently cost effective until further notice?

It also seems you may be saying because of this any languages still missing the language will have to be dependent/based on the network in question? Therefore I would need to remove the language altogether in this case because it is not Thai?

If this is all true I'm sure we can live with this problem until such time as it is feasible to have any and all missing languages added into the database?

JAGUARDOG wrote:
I have no clue what you are saying exactly? It sounds like that you may be saying that this can't be added/corrected/fixed whatever currently because of a flaw in the program that is being used currently and a replacement is not currently cost effective until further notice?
It also seems you may be saying because of this any languages still missing the language will have to be dependent/based on the network in question? Therefore I would need to remove the language altogether in this case because it is not Thai?
If this is all true I'm sure we can live with this problem until such time as it is feasible to have any and all missing languages added into the database?

And we are not wrong, we are just not over specific on this matter then, as Chinese includes Taiwanese, Cantonese and Mandarin.

cheers
Juan

JuanArango wrote:
I have changed the language from Thai (which was wrong) to Chinese (which includes Taiwanese and Mandarin).
cheers
Juan

Thank you and f.y.i. the original network was also incorrect so I added the correct network to the site since it was not here yet and then corrected it as well.

JuanArango wrote:
And we are not wrong, we are just not over specific on this matter then, as Chinese includes Taiwanese, Cantonese and Mandarin.
cheers
Juan

Not a clue what you mean "we are not wrong" about what? As I don't believe I used the word wrong anywhere did I?

I meant to say that I spoke with David about adding Cantonese (Hong Kong), Mandarin (China) and Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), but he was unable to change anything in that list as it was a third party software.

So for shows in Taiwan, China or Hong Kong SAR, we are safe to say that they are all part of Chinese and we can determine whether it was traditional, Mandarin or Cantonese by checking the TV channels origin.

Thai language was obviously not right to put there (I don't know who did it), but I'm pretty sure a Taiwanese series wouldn't produce a series in Taiwan with people speaking Thai :). Good Catch!

The thing is that if you are going to seperate Chinese, you pretty much can seperate all languages. Spanish for example has already for over more than 15 dialects...

JAGUARDOG wrote:
Not a clue what you mean "we are not wrong" about what? As I don't believe I used the word wrong anywhere did I?

Ron, this was not directed against you, do not take everything as an attack, there are no attacks here.

I just wanted to point out that Chinese is overall correct to use, just not as specific as Taiwanese or mandarin.

cheers
Juan

Thomas wrote:
I meant to say that I spoke with David about adding Cantonese (Hong Kong), Mandarin (China) and Traditional Chinese (Taiwan), but he was unable to change anything in that list as it was a third party software.
So for shows in Taiwan, China or Hong Kong SAR, we are safe to say that they are all part of Chinese and we can determine whether it was traditional, Mandarin or Cantonese by checking the TV channels origin.
Thai language was obviously not right to put there (I don't know who did it), but I'm pretty sure a Taiwanese series wouldn't produce a series in Taiwan with people speaking Thai :). Good Catch!
The thing is that if you are going to seperate Chinese, you pretty much can seperate all languages. Spanish for example has already for over more than 15 dialects...

That's all well and good but I never said anything about separating any language or languages my point was only that some were missing. Regardless of all the Chinese languages what about Taiwanese that is also missing does it also fall under some other group I know it does not fall under the Chinese group you spoke of?

JAGUARDOG wrote:
That's all well and good but I never said anything about separating any language or languages my point was only that some were missing. Regardless of all the Chinese languages what about Taiwanese that is also missing does it also fall under some other group I know it does not fall under the Chinese group you spoke of?

There is no language called Taiwanese. Taiwan's main language is Traditional 'Mandarin' or Standard Mandarin, which is very similar to China's Simplified Mandarin.

Try 30 days of free premium.