Try 30 days of free premium.

Episodes constantly premiering on different networks

JAGUARDOG wrote 8 years ago: 1

I thought only Episode titles were going to be locked but now I find a show where the Network is locked why? I'm sorry but this will not work on networks at all? Now I am upset because I have explained this problem with Networks several times in different Forum threads about Networks that constantly move their shows around from week to week. These are the worst Networks that I have to deal with moving shows around constantly:

ESPN (all 6 of them and ABC)

Disney (all 4 of them)

Nickelodeon (all 4 of them)

As I have stated before I will use ESPN as my example again. They air their talk shows and some of the sports related shows like Poker on any of their many networks. Do I have to provide the names and Networks of all the shows that i am talking about I hope not? If you do not understand what i am trying to point out then I will gladly provide a very, very long list of shows and Networks to prove my point?

I will not make a post every time i need to have a Network changed (not corrected but changed) because it is now locked that is a huge waste of time. If you do not trust me to make Network changes as needed then we must work something out?

Right now I need "World Series of poker" Network changed again for i think it's the 4th time in less than a week? It now shows ESPN2 because that is where Part 2 of the 2015 World series of poker Final Table aired on 9 October. Now Part 3 will air tonight back on ESPN once again, it's not my fault that the programmers of some networks are so freaking wishy washy and can't keep shows on 1 Network? I guess they could care less about viewers knowing from one day to the next where their show will air next which is a great way to make viewers give up and walk away!

note: no caps, no cussing, maybe a little rudeness, and maybe a little demanding, but I am very upset! What else is going to be locked so we know ahead of time please?

Thank you very much for your kind assistance in this matter, Ron, 11/10/2015 5:37 AM

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

JAGUARDOG wrote:
I thought only Episode titles were going to be locked but now I find a show where the Network is locked why?

Shows that move around from network to network on a weekly basis are really troublesome, it surely should not the way to change the network each week, this would be insanity.

I would also like for david and jan to see what they think about his.

cheers
Juan

JuanArango wrote:
Shows that move around from network to network on a weekly basis are really troublesome, it surely should not the way to change the network each week, this would be insanity.
I would also like for david and jan to see what they think about his.
cheers
Juan

Thank you very much for chiming in Juan. I'm not sure how bad this problem might be in whatever country you are from or any of the 4 of you but in North America it has been one of my biggest if not the biggest nightmares I have ever had to deal with in over the 15 plus years that I have been working on TV sites!

JAGUARDOG wrote:
Thank you very much for chiming in Juan. I'm not sure how bad this problem might be in whatever country you are from or any of the 4 of you but in North America it has been one of my biggest if not the biggest nightmares I have ever had to deal with in over the 15 plus years that I have been working on TV sites!

I have not seen this in Germany, maybe it happened with one or two shows during the last decade, but that problem is very uncommon around here.

cheers
Juan

JuanArango wrote:
I have not seen this in Germany, maybe it happened with one or two shows during the last decade, but that problem is very uncommon around here.
cheers
Juan

I can give you a small sample look into some of what I mean. If you go to zap2it.com let's say use 10 November and the 5 to 8 PM time period then scroll down and you will see 5 or so ESPN Networks. Then click on any of the shows you see there that shows the word NEW under the title like "Around the Horn", "Pardon the Interruption", "First Take Re-Take", "Highly Questionable", "College Football Live" etc., etc. Then you will be able to see some of the networks and days of the week and sometimes multiple airings of New Episodes only to just get a small sample?

http://tvschedule.zap2it.com/tvlistings/ZCGrid.do?...

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

From the policy:

However, the source (a specific network or a specific web channel) of episode airdates must be consistent within a season. For example, a show airs 10 episodes on FOX after which it's cancelled. A few months later, the final 3 episodes air on a foreign network. In this case, the airdate for those final 3 episodes must be left empty. A different example; a show is commissioned and produced by FOX and episodes normally premiere there. If an individual episode sporadically premieres on a foreign network before it's shown on FOX, the FOX airdate should still be used.

In cases where episodes within a season premiere on different sources more than sporadically (Mythbusters would be a notorious example of this), a ruling must be made specifically for that show. Please consult the show's edit wiki when it exists, or open a thread in the Data forums otherwise.

So if at all possible, for those shows we should define the "primary" network and list all airdates within a season from that network. For the shows you've looked at, is there one primary/most important network that will (eventually) air all of the episodes?

FYI: The locking is in place for all attributes.

MichaelDeBoey wrote 8 years ago: 1

JuanArango wrote:
I think those shows change their network within a season too, which makes it even more complicated :(
cheers
Juan

That's why I think it's best to have it at season level as well as at episode level

The season level would be the network it last aired on (maybe automatically changed, but for this the server would need to check it every night for every show, so that's not really an option I think...)
If it changes a lot, we can pick the main/primary network
But because it's also defined at episode level, you know the exact network of each episode

Like I said: define it at season level and automatically set the same network at episode level. If it needs to be changed a Trusted Contributor can do this. If you add new episodes suggest the network that's defined on season level, but it can be changed (like you have with the airdate, starting hour, duration)

Thomas wrote:
we already can define it per season ;)

Yeah I know, but that would be the first step in my explanation:

- You start with defining the network at the season level
If the network changes a lot this would be the main/primary network

- Now everytime you add a new episode, it will automatically sugest this network as the network of the new episode.
If you want it to be another one, you can choose another network (like you already can do with airdate, starting hour, duration)
Maybe it's also a good idea to be able to let the network empty at episode level for the episodes that never aired. (like you have with the airdate)

- If the network is set wrong, it can be changed, but only by Trusted Contributors (or higher).

If you start implementing this, I would suggest to automatically set the network of the episodes to the network of the season it's in. The Trusted Contributors can than change it for the more complex shows.

I agree that we should stay to the policy for now, because the system is not capable of doing it in another way, but can you find yourself in my thought David?

I think this could be something to work out for in the future?

100% correct is indead a very difficult job, but if we could improve from 85% to 90% by implementing a new system (like the one i suggested), that would always be better than just leave it at 85% I think?
But I know that's not something that can be done in 5 minutes :-)

Gadfly wrote 8 years ago: 1

The question to me is: is there another site that manages to do it? And if so, how?

If no other site is doing it, then all credit to David but I don't think he's going to be able to pull off what hundreds of other coders have been unable to do.

TVRage, we did what Ron wants to do here. Or rather, Ron did there what Ron wanted done. Nobody but Ron seemed to care one way or another. Nobody complained--at least on the forums or to me in PMs--when Ron was out for a few days and it didn't happen. But... it didn't hurt anything to let him do it, either.

IMO, I think it's a lot of effort for very little payoff. But then, some folks think that about recaps, too. :)

Gadfly wrote:
The question to me is: is there another site that manages to do it? And if so, how?
If no other site is doing it, then all credit to David but I don't think he's going to be able to pull off what hundreds of other coders have been unable to do.
TVRage, we did what Ron wants to do here. Or rather, Ron did there what Ron wanted done. Nobody but Ron seemed to care one way or another. Nobody complained--at least on the forums or to me in PMs--when Ron was out for a few days and it didn't happen. But... it didn't hurt anything to let him do it, either.
IMO, I think it's a lot of effort for very little payoff. But then, some folks think that about recaps, too. :)

I don't know if other sites bother to show the network at episode level or not, but like I said before I really think we should try to give as much correct information as we can.

It maybe seem that it's a lot of effort for very little payoff, but I think it will payoff in the long term.

Ofcourse I'm not saying it needs to be done by tomorrow. I know there's a big backlog already and there are more important things to focus on, but eventually it's something that we should implement in the site I think.

Showing as much as correct information as possible will payoff in the long term I believe. Even if its alot of effort for a small amount of shows/episodes/...

MichaelDeBoey wrote:
I don't know if other sites bother to show the network at episode level or not, but like I said before I really think we should try to give as much correct information as we can.
It maybe seem that it's a lot of effort for very little payoff, but I think it will payoff in the long term.
Ofcourse I'm not saying it needs to be done by tomorrow. I know there's a big backlog already and there are more important things to focus on, but eventually it's something that we should implement in the site I think.
Showing as much as correct information as possible will payoff in the long term I believe. Even if its alot of effort for a small amount of shows/episodes/...

I agree that the more correct we are, the better our site will be, but my personla opinion is that it is not needed to change a network back and forth each week, but that is just me :)

cheers
Juan

JuanArango wrote:
I agree that the more correct we are, the better our site will be, but my personla opinion is that it is not needed to change a network back and forth each week, but that is just me :)
cheers
Juan

That I agree also. In the current system we need to decide which network is the main/primary network and just stick to that network.

But I suggest that people who want to invest in the nex system (like Ron), just note it down somewhere so they can change it if the new system would be in place.

MichaelDeBoey wrote:
That I agree also. In the current system we need to decide which network is the main/primary network and just stick to that network.
But I suggest that people who want to invest in the nex system (like Ron), just note it down somewhere so they can change it if the new system would be in place.

I agree :)

MichaelDeBoey wrote:

Agreed.

MichaelDeBoey wrote:

Yeah, I'm not opposed to it, definitely open to discussing it in the future. It's not a sure thing, since allowing network information on the season level has downsides as well; and changing it would be a lot of work. But who knows :)

david wrote:
Yeah, I'm not opposed to it, definitely open to discussing it in the future. It's not a sure thing, since allowing network information on the season level has downsides as well; and changing it would be a lot of work. But who knows :)

I think you mean "allowing network information on the episode level has downsides as well"?
Because now we allready have network information on the season level

I know it has some downsides (like disk space for instance) and it would be a lot of work, but I really believe that if we strive to have as accurate and correct information as possible it would really benefit for us and for the site.

Sorry, yes, episode level! :)

MichaelDeBoey wrote:
I know it has some downsides (like disk space for instance) and it would be a lot of work, but I really believe that if we strive to have as accurate and correct information as possible it would really benefit for us and for the site.

And some (meaningfull) people agree with me so to see :-)

Why would disk space be a concern?

Or rather, I understand that it would be a concern. But there are so many things here that are already taking up disk space, that attaching networks at the episode levels seems pretty... minimal by comparison.

I just added image #73,172, size 41k. I don't add huge images, but was told the first few times not to worry about reducing image size, either.That's roughly 3 gigs (right?) which is relatively minimal. Still, it's only going to get larger. I can't imagine adding network tags at the episode level is going to come anywhere close to that.

Try 30 days of free premium.