Try 30 days of free premium.

Languages?

ilkercan wrote 8 years ago: 2

Should be the language options on the site??

I can help to Turkish.

david wrote 8 years ago: 1

Hey there! What do you mean exactly; are you talking about shows from Turkey, or translating the site itself into Turkish?

deleted wrote 8 years ago: 1

From my point of view he wants to have a translation of this site in Turkish and many more languages, but I guess that won't be an improvement and would cost a lot of time to implement it :)

JuanArango wrote 8 years ago: 1

Yeh, it is impossible to do the site in different languages, takes way too much time and effort :)

ilkercan wrote 8 years ago: 2

I mean, you have to support different languages. Example: Turkish, Deutsch, Italiano

Jan wrote 8 years ago: 1

Are there other tv related sites that support multiple languages? I would like to see how they manage it.

RolandoPusineri wrote 5 years ago: 1

hi all, old post but there is no news about it?

Jan wrote 5 years ago: 1

RolandoPusineri wrote:
hi all, old post but there is no news about it?

What would you like to know?
What do you understand by 'language support'?

francoism wrote 5 years ago: 2

yes I would like to be able to add French translations for the description of episodes and synopsis in the series This functionality is present on tvdb or tmdb.

SilverSurfer wrote 5 years ago: 1

francoism wrote:
yes I would like to be able to add French translations for the description of episodes and synopsis in the series This functionality is present on tvdb or tmdb.

+1 It would be nice if possible and easy to do with the system. I don't know what the site traffic is from around the world but, perhaps, if it is low from non-english countries it's a case of build it and they will come.

JuanArango wrote 5 years ago: 1

To support multiple language is a very, very hard thing to do, almost no TV related website does this, you need to have staff experts on every language.

deleted wrote 5 years ago: 0

SilverSurfer wrote:
+1 It would be nice if possible and easy to do with the system. I don't know what the site traffic is from around the world but, perhaps, if it is low from non-english countries it's a case of build it and they will come.

Like Juan said, we would need to have multiple staff to verify and monitor contributions as none of us are able to understand all languages in our world. I am sure those features are going to be misused like it is on tvdb and tmdb as they do not have the staff for it too.

On top of that, tvdb might want to focus more on their functionality as the upgrade to their new lay-out is rather disappointing, very confusing and frequently suffers periods of down time. + plus many of their summaries and info is being taken straight from wikipedia.

So to keep all this in mind, I personally think we should not waste our time on a feature like this and keep English as our only and main priority.

snarfel wrote 3 years ago: 3

As someone who has contributed English meta data to non-English shows, it seems quite silly and frustrating to have these shows on TV Maze not have meta data in their native language (not even the official episode titles), only English given the primary consumers of these shows. 

TV Maze doesn't have to open the floodgates to all languages all at once to all text fields. You could start w/ a select few languages w/ moderators/staff you trust after putting out a call on SNS, etc. Heck, you could even limit the non-English meta data to episode titles at first to identify potential non-English speaking staff. It shouldn't be hard to audit that a French show has the correct episode titles in French.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 3

@snarfel wrote:
As someone who has contributed English meta data to non-English shows, it seems quite silly and frustrating to have these shows on TV Maze not have meta data in their native language (not even the official episode titles), only English given the primary consumers of these shows. 

TV Maze doesn't have to open the floodgates to all languages all at once to all text fields. You could start w/ a select few languages w/ moderators/staff you trust after putting out a call on SNS, etc. Heck, you could even limit the non-English meta data to episode titles at first to identify potential non-English speaking staff. It shouldn't be hard to audit that a French show has the correct episode titles in French.

The episode titles are not only allowed to be in their native language, they MUST be, so if you spot some translated titles you can change them into their official ones from their native language.

snarfel wrote 3 years ago: 2

@JuanArango wrote:
The episode titles are not only allowed to be in their native language, they MUST be, so if you spot some translated titles you can change them into their official ones from their native language.

Ok, noted. I was following your lead on some of the Tokusatsu shows like Kamen Rider where you provide a translated title rather than the original (https://www.tvmaze.com/edit/view?id=11641281). Will go back to edit the various seasons to be their original Japanese

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 1

@snarfel wrote:
Ok, noted. I was following your lead on some of the Tokusatsu shows like Kamen Rider where you provide a translated title rather than the original (https://www.tvmaze.com/edit/view?id=11641281). Will go back to edit the various seasons to be their original Japanese

As long as the official network or press release do not offer English titles, it is correct to use the Japanese ones. 

deleted wrote 3 years ago: 1

@snarfel wrote:

Hold on. you got something wrong. If network releases transliterated/english titles next to their Japanese titles, Transliterated and English titles will always get precedence over native languages if released by official network, which im pretty sure is done for Kamen rider. Also to use Japanese naming characters for shows with a large international database is just downright wrong and kills the entire database purpose for TVmaze which focusses on INTERNATIONAL and not only serves the Japanese community.

JuanArango wrote 3 years ago: 2

@Thomas wrote:
Hold on. you got something wrong. If network releases transliterated/english titles next to their Japanese titles, Transliterated and English titles will always get precedence over native languages if released by official network, which im pretty sure is done for Kamen rider. Also to use Japanese naming characters for shows with a large international database is just downright wrong and kills the entire database purpose for TVmaze which focusses on INTERNATIONAL and not only serves the Japanese community.

That is true, as long it is done by the official site :)

snarfel wrote 3 years ago: 2

Transliterated and English titles will always get precedence over native languages if released by official network, which im pretty sure is done for Kamen rider

The only seasons that have been licensed out of Kamen Rider and thus have official English for titles and descriptions are Kuuga (season 10) and the original season 1 which were licensed out to ShoutcastTV this past year for streaming and one of the recent movies (Heisei Generations Forever). The other seasons in the ongoing 31 long run only have official Japanese titles. I would love for Kamen Rider to have more licensed seasons for people outside Japan to enjoy and for them to have simulstream like w/ Ultraman as it's my favorite TV show, but that's simply not the case right now.

In terms of other popular tokusatsu shows w/ official English transliterations. ShoutcastTV has maybe 10 seasons of Super Sentai from late 90's to early/mid '00s before Hasbro squelched future season licensing. Mill Creek has the first 5 and the most recent 5 or so seasons of Ultraman (and the Japanese IP holder now streams the current season w/ en title + description on Youtube). In theory Mill Creek should have all Ultra mainline series+movies put out at some point. Toei is also putting out the Metal Heroes series on Youtube, but it's just listed as 'Episode 1', etc. so not really any official titles/descriptions.

If you don't believe me on Kamen Rider only having 2 older seasons w/ official English titles or even transliteration from kana to Latin characters, you can validate via the official website for the episode of Saber's season airing later this week: https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/saber/13

Try 30 days of free premium.